Director, Strategic SourcingLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Director, Strategic Sourcing & Category Management
BioMarin Global Finance Operations and Reporting (GFOR) is growing rapidly with the overall company and developing into a leading edge global finance organization. BioMarin has over $1 billion of annual revenues and operations in over 40 countries that drive significant accounting, finance and information systems complexity. BioMarin has ambitious growth plans and has an enthusiastic global team that is eager to deliver world-class accounting and finance operations services to our stakeholders.
The Director, Strategic Sourcing & Category Management is a new role that will focus on establishing strategies, policies and objectives related to the Category Management and Strategic Sourcing disciplines within the Finance Department. You will also have a strong understanding of the overall Source to Pay (S2P) process components (including S2P technologies) as well as very broad and deep knowledge of a multitude of spend categories. This role is positioned as a unique opportunity to make a high impact on departmental and company-wide processes and stakeholders.
The Director, will report to the Sr. Director, Global Source to Pay, and will frequently partner with executive management of the broader Finance staff.
- Set strategies and policies related to: category management, strategic sourcing, qualifying, approving and managing Suppliers to ensure a stable and balanced supply base.
- Generate and implement efficient sourcing and category management strategies
- Provide significant strategic and operational input into S2P transformation efforts involving both process redesign and technology enablers
- Seek opportunities to consolidate vendors and partner with colleagues to set standards to improve negotiations and reduce the total cost of ownership for products and services and develop and manage a Supplier Management framework that best leverages our significant Supplier relationships
- Optimize sourcing policies and procedures to attain maximum value
- Collaborate with stakeholders to guarantee agreement on: Supplier selection, service level expectations, ongoing governance and all related processes
- Research and anticipate shifts in the negotiating power of key suppliers
- Develop strategies and processes for monitoring purchase orders for contract compliance and savings capture
- Leadership - recruit, evaluate, manage and motivate a team of sourcing professionals
- Perform cost and scenario analysis, and bench-marking as needed
- Estimate risks and apply risk minimizing techniques
- Have a deep and broad understanding of the greater Source to Pay function as well as broad knowledge of a wide range of spend categories
- Understand your peer’s role in the S2P functions and have the ability to both collaborate with and influence those peers
- Collaborative Leadership - Ability to influence with or without authority, facilitate groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results.
- Ownership and Accountability – Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate. Asks “what can I do to help?”
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity. Ability to draft and deliver clear and concise procedures or business process documents.
- Planning/Organization - Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
- Analytical Problem Solving – Ability to identify problems, define problem statement clearly and accurately and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk immigration, and execution.
- Manages Expectations – Lead communication around what is expected, how and when Information Management will be accomplished and how success will be measured.
- Proven work experience as a strategic sourcing and category management leader
- Deep familiarity with sourcing and vendor management processes and relevant tools
- Understanding of market dynamics and sound business judgement
- Strong project management and leadership skills
- Ability to negotiate and sustain networking relationships
- Comfortable collecting, analyzing and interpreting data
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Supply Chain, Business or related area
- 10+ years in Procurement/Sourcing/Supply Chain, global experience preferred
- 3+ years managing Procurement, Strategic Sourcing, Category Management professionals
- Experience and strong familiarity with Sourcing and Procurement tools such as: Oracle, GEP, Coupa etc.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.