Director – Patient Access ServicesLocation San Rafael, California
BioMarin’s Commercial organization supports our global sales and marketing efforts around the world. Our global sales force continues to solidify the company’s commercial presence in the United States and Europe and is rapidly growing in other regions, such as Latin America, the Middle East and Asia-Pacific. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Patient Access Services team designs, implements and manages strategy and ongoing operations of patient services/HUB programs and services to support the needs of patients with rare diseases. The team works cross-functionally within BioMarin and externally with our patient services/HUB operations vendor partners.
A few core overarching team responsibilities are described below:
- Strategic planning and oversight of HUB operations
- Manage and support access to therapy of all commercially available products
- Monitor and provide options for individual patient coverage
- Address financial barriers to therapy via financial assistance programs, e.g. patient assistance programs, branded co-pay programs
- Support efforts that enhance the ‘patient journey’ from diagnosis to long-term adherence via execution and pull through
In addition, the Patient Access Services team has oversight of third-party HUB operations and various internal/external stakeholders. The interactions may include sales, field clinical support, managed markets, marketing, commercial operations, compliance, home infusion vendors, patient assistance providers and specialty pharmacies. These critical interactions add a level of complexity that requires the candidate to manage various expectations and solve problems across a continuum of requirements.
The Director will be responsible for developing, implementing and overseeing strategic and operating plans for a brand specific patient services/HUB program. This individual reports to the Senior Director, Patient Access Services and is responsible for collaborating with multiple functional groups, including but not limited to Marketing/Brand, Sales, Managed Markets, Specialty Operations and Distribution, Compliance/Legal, Business Intelligence/Analytics, Commercial Learning & Development and Pharmacovigilance.RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead strategic and tactical oversight of the patient services/HUB program, including establishing and monitoring program goals, metrics and key performance indicators.
- Partner with and lead cross-functional teams to develop and implement program enhancements and/or new support service offerings based on business needs that will optimize patient access, customer service and clinic experience, including identification and implementation of emerging support services tools and technologies.
- Analyze data and customer insights to identify trends and opportunities for process/program enhancements.
- Ensure patient services/HUB program expectations, enhancements and performance is communicated to key stakeholders.
- Oversee development and updates to all program materials, including, but not limited to SOPs, work instructions, job aids and program document templates per BioMarin’s legal, medical and regulatory approval process.
- Manage and develop staffing model needed to support evolving program needs and volume.
- Ensure patient services/HUB program, program team and vendor partners are in compliance with all laws, regulations and policies and demonstrate BioMarin values.
- Manage and adhere to corporate policies and practices
- Travel as necessary to oversee effective program operations and interface with internal and external partners
- Bachelor’s degree required in business, science or similar discipline; MPH/MHA/MBA or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 6 years commercial operations experience in biotech/pharmaceuticals with at least 5+ years leading large, complex patient services/HUB programs.
- Demonstrated experience managing vendors providing HUB/patient support services and/or services intended to support and improve the patient and clinic experience.
- Strong patient focus and in-depth understanding of patient access services and specialty distribution channels.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects within specified timelines and quality standards.
- Sense of urgency, flexibility and ability to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment and evolving commercial organization.
- Good analytical and organizational skills, as well as an operations project management mindset.
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritize, execute, follow up and anticipate problems
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to interact with and positively influence internal and external stakeholders at multiple levels.
- Adhere to BioMarin policies, procedures and personify commercial values--patient centricity, innovation, ethics, respect, accountability and continuous learning