Director, Facility ServicesLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director of Facility Services is accountable for ensuring the Facility Maintenance, Asset Lifecyle Management (ALM), and for the overall BioMarin’s Corporate Facilities are maintained and developed, as well as additional buildings that are included in the SRC within BioMarin
- Manage Small Construction Projects at BioMarin San Rafael Campus, and other buildings under responsibility of the Director of Facilities. to insure maximum maintainability.
- Manage Budgets – assist in preparation, allocation of cost centers, cost management. Ensure services are being billed to the correct cost enters and that all cost centers are adequately funded to support continuous operations
- Identify areas of vulnerability to the company and take the appropriate actions to reduce risk for Emergency Response, Crisis Management and Business Continuity
- Develop Asset Lifecycle Management (ALM) in align with corporate ALM standards, manage and maintain programs to protect the infrastructure and utilities at the campus’
- Ensure maintenance programs are aligned with BioMarin corporate standards, comply with applicable internal and external regulatory standards, and that the site's assets and systems perform reliably and as required
- Establish and maintain maintenance strategies, practices, and processes to ensure maximum performance of our assets and to meet the needs of our business at optimized life-cycle costs.
- Manage energy programs to ensure all utilities are provided to all facilities, manage utilities to maximize efficiency and reduce energy spend. Work with internal and external to identify and implement programs to ensure we have continuous power at reasonable prices.
- Establish, sustain, and leverage effective partnerships with network counterparts to share best practices and influence the design and implementation of our network maintenance management policies, standards, and processes.
- Identify, recruit, and develop reporting managerial staff. Initiate methods to facilitate effective decision-making, collaboration, and innovation. Provide strategic direction and management necessary for subordinate staff to achieve their stated objectives.
- Oversee the budgets, and personnel for the Property Management Company. Review work performed, approve projects and deal with any tenant issues.
- Manage vendors and vendor contracts, janitorial, landscaping, etc. continually identifying cost reduction opportunities.
- Ensure that all vendors and service providers are compliant with our requirements for contracts, purchase orders, insurance, training and access.
- Participate in strategy discussions and drive decisions and actions to ensure that our maintenance programs complement and enable our site, network, and business strategies.
- Initiate and coordinate quality improvement, efficiency improvement, budget analysis, and cost reduction programs relative to the management of our assets.
- Provide Facility Services support and engagement on engineering/technology/laboratory projects, brokering and coordinating Facility Services representation on project teams, ensuring close collaboration and communication between project teams and Facility Services, assuring timely flow of documentation and master data, and facilitating operational readiness.
- Interact with client groups, service providers, existing BioMarin maintenance management, GEFS, NEFS and Shanbally functions to leverage and optimize maintenance support resources, programs, and practices.
- Provide leadership and coordination of maintenance operations, systems, procedures and documentation development.
- BS/BA/MS/MBA in engineering, facilities management, or business management
- 12-15 years of experience in Facility Management
- Relevant experience in a biotech, pharmaceutical, or chemical manufacturing environment preferred.
- Lean or Operational Excellence preferred
- Demonstrated understanding of regulations that apply to maintenance management in a pharmaceutical manufacturing environment.
- Applicable knowledge of contract administration and operations
- At least eight years of progressive experience in maintenance operations with a proven performance record
- Demonstrated supervisory, leadership and developmental skills.
- Effective oral and communication skills demonstrating interaction with State, County, and City official.
- Working knowledge of cGMPs as they relate to facility operations and documentation.
- Thorough knowledge of typical building construction practices and maintenance systems.
- Working knowledge of mechanical/electrical systems, clean utilities, dirty utilities, and manufacturing equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare specifications and request for Quotes for buildings and grounds related service functions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.