Director, Digital and Social Media CommunicationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director, Digital and Social Media Communications serves as the editor-in-chief of the company’s global corporate website (BioMarin.com) and its other corporate external Internet properties, including social media sites. The position is responsible for content strategy and execution and for providing editorial oversight and direction for the interactive communications team, contractors, and vendors.
This individual is a web-savvy visionary who oversees the management of a combination of written, visual and website content to convey BioMarin’s messages across a multitude of channels. Strong storytelling experience and the ability to create thoughtful and engaging content (video, graphics, copy) for online channels that centers around scientifically-driven and patient-focused drug development is required. S/he will be responsible for developing a strategic vision for an integrated digital presence and deploying new and existing digital communication technologies as a key component of the company’s overall interaction with key stakeholders.
The role will be part of the Corporate Communications team that will set the overall corporate communications strategy (i.e., brand projection and protection) for the company. This results-oriented, seasoned individual brings unique and valuable attributes to the table; s/he combines creativity with analytical thinking and is not afraid to roll-up their sleeves and get into the thick of things. This individual will help the corporate communications function scale to the company’s meteoric growth.
The Director will partner closely with the Digital Marketing team to further develop and implement a strategic vision for an integrated digital and social presence. This individual will also lead the digital component of major programs and storytelling that help build BioMarin’s reputation at the national and global levels. He or she will partner with senior leadership and will work closely with Commercial colleagues to develop the digital and social media strategy and will track trends to inform digital communications efforts.
- Develop and implement integrated digital and social media strategies that advance BioMarin’s business objectives and further promote and protect BioMarin’s corporate reputation
- Provide editorial oversight and direction for all of BioMarin’s external-facing properties, including bmrn.com and BioMarin’s corporate social media channels. This includes (but is not limited to) management of editorial calendars, content assignments, video production, copy editing, approval and clearance, and feedback
- Manage and maintain the editorial standards and guidelines for corporate external Internet communications
- Manage agency PR partners to ensure activities (unbranded and branded) adhere to regulatory and legal guidelines, are in line with product communication strategy, are completed on-time and within budget, and ensure that the agency has access to the necessary tools and information to successfully complete assignments
- Provide and develop engaging, relevant and timely ideas for editorial content and potential influencer engagements that help enhance BioMarin’s corporate reputation among its key stakeholders
- Produce ongoing communications analytics reports to update the organization on relevant happenings and inform communications strategy
- Proactively assess and adopt emergent communications technologies (CommTech), integrating into digital strategy to enable BioMarin to be communications pioneers in the biotech space
- Work collaboratively across the organization to develop specific social media strategies and implementation plans, including executive and crisis communications
- Monitor BioMarin’s owned channels and the earned media space for brand opportunities and threats
- Manage BioMarin’s Digital Crisis Communications Portal, ensuring that content and key information is up-to-date and that key BioMarin leadership are trained to use the Portal for when issues and crises arise
Our ideal candidate:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of related experience in journalism, communications, public relations, biology or other related field
- Has a proven ability to enhance a company’s brand and reputation through effective editorial strategy and execution on external-facing digital and social media platforms
- Has experience providing communications and editorial advice/direction for a global, dynamic organization; capacity to prioritize editorial resources and coordinate schedules, budgets and staffing needs
- Has knowledge of and experience with multiple online channels (Web, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, mobile devices), with a track record of growing and engaging online audiences
- Has the ability to use qualitative and quantitative data and insights to create or adjust forward-looking communications strategies
- Has experience working with interactive marketing agencies and advertising agencies, with a knowledge of AP style and principles of writing for the Web/rich media
- Has at least some basic experience in digital media monitoring software (e.g., Brandwatch, Sprinklr, Meltwater)
- Has demonstrated experience and success in project management
- Possesses online publishing/editing skills consistent with the current state of the web
- Has communications experience in the life sciences for publicly traded companies
- Believes that work can be fun and enjoys a work environment where you take your job seriously, but not yourself
- Is a team player, someone who believes and practices that a group working together can accomplish more than any individual
- Is intellectually curious and open to new ways of doing things, perpetual learner
- Loves to do what has never been done before and not afraid to fail trying
- Finds creative ways to accomplish goals through collaboration and influence
- Has working knowledge of FDA and EMA regulations as applied to the communication of investigational and marketed drugs; familiarity with drug industry reimbursement; and a good understanding of public policy challenges currently affecting the healthcare industry;
- Has a high level of professionalism and confidence to work effectively with employees from all levels of the organization, including senior leaders, functional managers, research scientists and the general employee population
- Has the ability to influence cross-functional teams
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.