Director, Center of TechnologyLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin is seeking a seasoned, Director-level scientist to lead our Center of Technology (COTe) within the Research and Early Development (RED) group. This is a new initiative whose goal is to promote open and shared access to state-of-the-art mass spectrometry and flow cytometry technologies, as well as procurement of specialized biospecimens. The COTe has a remit to effectively support our early discovery pipeline and our cutting edge clinical trials. The inaugural leader of the COTe will need established scientific credibility to actively liaise with other members of the Genetics Discovery and Delivery, Biological Research, Translational Sciences, and Clinical Sciences to enable creative pursuit of scientific inquiry. The spectrum of COTe key stake holders will include existing experts who run their own experiments to physicians and scientists that do not have laboratories or expertise with these technologies.
Such a broad mandate will require a leader who is skilled at understanding the needs of diverse client groups and advocate for the resources to support those needs. The leader, while not necessarily expert in all areas, will sufficiently understand the capabilities of the technologies to manage and direct overall priorities and ensure that the core supports all the important needs of clients. The leader will empower the scientists within the core to work with their partners across the company, advocate for equipment and personnel, and actively network within the company to make sure the capabilities of the COTe are optimally used. The leader of COTe will need to distinguish methodical requirements for GxP work from speedy, fit-for-purpose experimental support for discovery research. A successful candidate will be a person who actively seeks feedback, looks for opportunity to make an impact, and has a philosophy of perpetual improvement.
- Lead a group of Bachelors-to-PhD level scientists in providing top level technological collaborations across BioMarin’s Research and Early Development (RED) organization in the areas of flow cytometry, mass spectrometry, and biospecimen acquisition. Support career development opportunities for team members to maintain and expand expertise.
- Work with scientists across RED to enable them to execute experiments utilizing the core technologies of the COTe.
- Work with the scientists within the COTe function to evaluate new technology needs to maintain state-of-the-art capabilities in rapidly changing technological areas.
- Advocate for the appropriate resources to enable the scientific inquiry that will drive forward projects across RED.
- Conduct quarterly business reviews of COTe utilization with Sr. Management in Research and Early Development.
- Build robust systems to support shared use of instruments in an effective manner.
- Build connections between scientists in COTe, and scientists in other groups to foster collaborative investigations. Mentor scientists within COTe on core skills including data presentation, project management, and data analysis
- Advocate for advanced data analysis support as needed for larger or more complex data sets, or multi-platform/multi-dimensional data. Facilitate data analysis support as needed.
- Participate in external scientific meetings and contribute to original peer-reviewed publications.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10+ years experience in biomedical sciences. Experience running a core facility preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: ability to cogently prepare and present data in group settings, prepare formal reports, give and receive useful feedback.
- Collaborative skills and experience working in a cross-functional environment
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills
- Broad technical proficiency with different technologies.
- Ability to help solve complex issues in partnership with SMEs.
- Working knowledge of LCMS and flow cytometry instrumentation, biochemistry, and molecular and cell biology.
- Demonstrated experience innovating new methods and technologies
- PhD degree in biochemistry or related field, with 6+ years experience in a core facility.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.