Director, Capital Planning Strategy-Manufacturing/WarehouseLocation San Rafael, California Apply
Director, Capital Planning Strategy-Manufacturing/Warehouse
BioMarin’s Corporate Real Estate & Workplace (CREW) team handles strategic capital investment planning, campus planning and design, space assignment, and move management for BioMarin facilities. Our work includes strategic planning to align business needs with capital solutions through identification of siting, master planning, design oversight, development requirements, occupancy planning, and management of the real estate and strategic capital portfolio to optimize asset utilization. We work closely with BioMarin colleagues across the entire organization in providing space to accommodate our growth. We work at a high level to determine how and where we will use space, and at the tactical level to ensure the business needs regarding space and workplace are fully met in project execution.
TheDirector, Capital Planning Strategy - Manufacturing/Warehousewill be responsible for leading CREW in strategic planning activities in collaboration with the other Strategists, the Head of Campus Planning & Design, and the Head of CREW. This person is responsible for understanding the business strategies of our operating units; determining the relevant business drivers and trigger points that drive the long-term need for manufacturing facilities, manufacturing support facilities or warehouse space; and developing capital plans on behalf of manufacturing and warehousing groups. This person is also responsible for understanding functional relationships between groups, determining adjacency requirements, developing a 1-2 year occupancy strategy for manufacturing/warehousing groups and working with Finance to track cost and utilization metrics.
This person works in concert with manufacturing and warehousing management to analyze and sort out project priorities on the site that support the current Products and the product development pipeline. Scope, schedule and budget is communicated for major projects by this individual, crafted in partnership with Capital Projects Management (CPM). This person is the primary integrator of services for CREW.
- Understand the business strategy of the manufacturing and warehousing groups, but most importantly, translate the strategy to sound real estate, planning and infrastructure delivery projects including manufacturing, manufacturing support, and warehouse projects. Responsible for developing capital project initial scope, schedule and budgets on behalf of manufacturing or warehouse Advise on all services to be provided by CREW.
- Understand functional relationships between groups and determine adjacency requirements.
- Maintain a 1-2 year occupancy strategy for manufacturing and warehousing groups, communicate to leadership team and gain required approvals.
- Generate and define high level conceptual project plans as necessary and create turn over documentation to assure smooth transition from planning to projects.
- Develop appropriate relationships within CREW and Capital Projects Management to ensure delivery of services as defined above. Be the “escalation point” for these services; that is, not the Single Point of Accountability, but rather the Primary Point for very senior escalations. Keep all internal process hand-offs within CREW/CPM, and not obvious to the customer. Champion internal conversations, storylines, strategy consistency, service level expectations and metrics.
- Stay current in external trends and best practices in client’s domain of manufacturing and warehouse space as well as in workplace effectiveness.
- Lead project management tasks, including alignment with BMRN internal capital projects group’s budgeting and tracking or record keeping procedures. Further, request for proposals for planning studies, facilitate approval for these studies and coordinate the implementation of these studies.
Required Skills & Expectations:
- Chemical/Biological engineering or science background is a plus.
- Business acumen for understanding manufacturing and warehousing business strategies in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong intellectual curiosity.
- Aptitude for creating graphs and charts to concisely convey relevant data, trends, etc.
- Excellent critical thinking ability.
- Ability to create and update intermediate to advanced level spreadsheets
- Ability to exercise high levels of resourcefulness in seeking information and solving problems.
- Understanding of, or ability to quickly learn, real estate concepts and terminology.
- Ability to work with little supervision: meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, provide recommendations and effectively communicate updates.
- Demonstrated self-motivator and proactive in managing long-term or on-going projects in balance with daily routine.
- Creative problem and interpersonal skills.
- Proven teamwork orientation and skills.
- Aptitude to ensure accurate and timely document production.
- Contribute to achievement of department objectives.
- Model best practices in relation to BMRN standards.
- Supports team building and development activities.
- Must have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to manage and handle sensitive financial information relating to project cost reports, facilities planning, etc.
- Must have advanced level computer skills: Internet navigation, Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Adobe Acrobat.
- Proven ability to manage multiple, fast moving priorities.
- Experience with tools such as Excel, Power Point, Office, Tableau and Alteryx
- Experience in corporate strategy or management consulting role.
- Agility in coordinating with teams virtually across multiple international geographic locations.
- Experience in a real estate, design, or construction functional environment.
- Understanding of biotech concepts and terminology.
- Familiarity with Oracle.
Bachelor’s Degree, with coursework in chemical/biologic engineering, science discipline, business, economics, architecture/design/real estate, or related fields. Graduate degree would be a plus.
Primary work tools are personal computers and related peripheral devices (printers, scanners).
- Position requires interaction with external parties such as contractors, architects, engineers, consultants, vendors, etc.
- Project documentation tracking will require position to periodically interact with CPM, Facilities & Engineering, Legal, Finance, EH&S, Maintenance, Purchasing, TOPs PM, etc.
May require occasional direct supervision of consultants and contractors.