Corporate Counsel (TEMPORARY)Location San Rafael, California Apply
It takes a village, and at BioMarin our corporate groups are the people behind our success. Groups such as IT, Finance, Legal, Global Compliance & Ethics, and our People Team provide foundational support of all areas of operation at BioMarin.
This Corporate Counsel position is a mid-level to senior temporary position (5 to 10 years) in the BioMarin Legal Department. The candidate will lead a template and playbooks project, being responsible for updating templates and playbooks on the review schedule for this year, and also leading on a company initiative to consolidate, streamline, simplify, and improve global templates. This role also is responsible for creating resource materials, mostly in the form of playbooks, for business and Legal contract drafters. We are looking for an attorney experienced with contract drafting, working with templates, and with playbooks. We will also rely on this attorney to review current contract clauses and resource materials and provide suggested changes and improvements based on their experience and legal research. The position requires close collaboration with internal functional groups and the other attorneys in the Legal Department on these projects.
- With guidance and supervision, independently lead template and playbook projects for the Legal department for both internal needs and for a company-wide initiative.
- Work closely with attorneys, Contracts Associates, and business stakeholders on template and playbook projects.
- Draw on experience and legal research to revise, consolidate, streamline and simplify contracts and playbooks.
- Responsible for preparing template guidance and annotations and playbook resources for a variety of different contract templates for business contract drafters and Legal drafters.
- Responsible for setting and leading template meetings as required for attorney/CA input/approval on templates and playbooks.
- Timely tracking, monitoring, advising, and reporting on projects.
- Appropriately manage a heavy workflow, setting priorities and meeting deliverable timelines.
Experience and Skills:
- 5 to 10 years prior experience in a major law firm or biotech experience in contracting and in using and/or creating templates and playbooks.
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating a wide variety of contracts is required.
- Ability to lead projects and work independently is required.
- Ability to prioritize and use sound judgement with escalating matters to manager is required.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills required. Must be able to manage heavy workload and aggressive timelines in a timely manner, prioritize and work under pressure.
- Exceptional written and communication skills required, including strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, proactive, a quick learner, and have a strong work ethic.
- Strong computer skills in database management and documentation preparation (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Microsoft Office) required.
- Experience with pharmaceutical companies is desirable, but not essential.
- Experience with Ariba a plus.
Education and licensing: Juris Doctorate required
Active California Bar member in good standing
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S, the salary range for this position is $ 76 to $ 100 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity, and may also vary depending on candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience amongst other factors.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 76 to $ 100 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.