Corporate Counsel – Information Management & Technology TransactionsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Corporate Counsel – Information Management & Technology Transactions
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind. This position is an exciting opportunity for an attorney to join a fast-paced, dynamic corporate legal department supporting a global biopharmaceutical company.
The Corporate Counsel, Information Management & Technology Transactions is a (mid to senior-level) position in the BioMarin Legal Department reporting to the Deputy General Counsel. This position will primarily support the Company’s Information Management (IM) organization and all of their IM transactions, but also collaborate with colleagues in the Legal Department and business partners on other technology transactions. This position will be part of the Corporate group within BioMarin’s Legal Department, and will be the global lead IM attorney for BioMarin and part of a broader team of attorneys and contract associates providing similar legal support to other BioMarin departments.
- Serve as the lead attorney responsible for all eDiscovery related issues and provide guidance and support for the implementation of a defensible eDiscovery program for the company.
- Independently draft, review, and negotiate technology agreements, including Software-as-a-Service (SAS) agreements, cloud services, data subscriptions, software and technology licensing, software and application development, technology consulting services, hardware and equipment purchases, hosting services, maintenance and support services, software, SaaS, hardware and other technology evaluations and other technology related contracts.
- Support and collaborate with the Legal Department’s Contract Associates in handling certain aspects of IT transactions for their Departments, while personally handling more complex IT and strategic agreements.
- Train and oversee the work of Contract Associates within the Legal Department who support the types of technology transactions described above.
- Work closely with the relevant BioMarin Departments to understand business needs and advise on technology-related legal issues and support the Information Technology contractual needs of the BioMarin organization.
- Assist the Legal Department Project & Legal Operations Manager with project management responsibilities for technology related projects, such as document management and contract management systems and support.
- Support the IM organization and assist with training and monitoring of the IM group with BioMarin policies and procedures, including contracting, financial approvals and signature policies.
- Provide strategic counsel to IM and other BioMarin Departments, including keeping abreast of emerging technologies and trends, such as CyberSecurity, cloud computing, artificial intelligence, mobile devices, open source software and, to ensure that the legal support you provide is appropriately adapted to the evolving environment. Present on relevant topics at IM Leadership Team meetings.
- Focus on timely processing of contracts and other legal documents. This function has a major impact on IM’s ability to meet its commitments to the organization.
- Serve as a resource to provide guidance and subject-matter expertise to Law Department colleagues and business partners on a global basis in connection with technology transactions.
- Attend regular meetings of the IM Committee conducting cross-functional review of all ongoing and planned technology projects across the organization.
- Serve as subject matter expert in technology legal issues for other members of the Law Department.
- Lead attorney in BioMarin’s Legal Department responsible for working closely with IM on all CyberSecurity-related incidents such as data and vendor breaches; representing Legal as a member of BioMarin’s Cyber Incident Response team (CIRT).
- Coordinate with other departments and subject-matter experts regarding risk management, privacy, litigation, compliance, information security and technology development.
- Appropriately manage a heavy workflow, setting priorities with internal clients and meeting deliverable timelines.
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school is required.
- Current California bar membership required.
Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of six years of relevant legal experience is required; Experience in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry will be a plus;
- Recent law firm or in house experience in a technology or other related practice group is required.
- Experience drafting and negotiating technology contracts is required, including Software-as-a-Service (SAS) agreements, cloud services, data subscriptions, software and technology licensing, software and application development, technology consulting services, hardware and equipment purchases, hosting services, maintenance and support services, software, SaaS, hardware and other technology evaluations and other technology related contracts.
- Experience advising senior management on legal obligations and risks relating to technology agreements, IT systems, Information Security, CyberSecurity and other related compliance/regulatory issues impacting pharmaceutical companies
- Deep experience with SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS contracting, including negotiation, performance awards/penalties, remuneration, and termination for cause or at the discretion of BioMarin.
- Deep experience with legal and contracting issues from a global perspective, including the use of multiple managed-service providers to fulfill similar, over-lapping, or related services.
- Strong experience with eDiscovery and case management, including Litigation Holds, search and collections, managing the chain-of-custody process for physical and electronic assets, and defining legal requirements for litigation support and related policies for IT.
- Experience with finding good compromise between fulfilling legal requirements and meeting the business need.
- Thorough understanding of legal issues around CyberSecurity risk, response, and remediation, including appropriate legal assessment of data and IP.
- Experience in managing CyberSecurity-related incidents such as data and vendor breaches and application of Legal requirements as required. This includes representing Legal as a member of BioMarin’s Cyber Incident Response team (CIRT).
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organization and time-management skills required. Must be able to manage multiple priorities effectively, problem solve and work under pressure.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Strong experience with litigation support tools, such as Veritas eDiscovery Platform/Clearwell.
- Strong experience using MS Office applications, including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Experience using contract review and approval software, such as SpringCM and Oracle EBS/iProcurement.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- General office equipment.