Contracts Associate, LegalLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Recent graduates with an interest in business/law or biotechnology are encouraged to apply.
The Contracts Associate (CA) position is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic legal team supporting a growing, global biopharmaceutical company. The CA works closely with in-house attorneys and other professionals in a fast-paced, high-volume corporate legal department.
You will need to be detailed-oriented, able to multi-task, and able to communicate effectively across many functional areas. The CA’s primary role is to draft, negotiate, manage, and track company contracts and to communicate with in-house counsel, internal clients, and external contracting partners.
The CA will work closely with a wide range of BioMarin functional groups, including other General and Administrative departments such as Compliance, Finance, Government Affairs, Corporate Communications and Human Resources, Commercial, Technical Operations, Research and Development, and Development Sciences. Project-based legal department work in other areas may also be assigned.
Administer BioMarin’s contracting process, including:
- Research prior/existing relationships with contracting parties;
- Draft and negotiate multiple contract types, primarily from templates, including Non-Disclosure Agreements, Master Service Agreements, Scopes of Work, and Change Orders;
- Utilize playbooks and other CA resources to negotiate contracts with oversight from BioMarin’s in-house counsel;
- Monitor and track a large volume of contracts from draft to final signatures using SpringCM, BioMarin’s Contract Lifecycle Management System (CLM);
- Promote the CLM system and train business users on the contracting and CLM processes;
- Ensure company-wide compliance with BioMarin’s contracting policy;
- Act as liaison between business partners, BioMarin in-house counsel, and third party vendors;
- Facilitate contract execution;
- Build and maintain relationships with internal business clients;
- Communicate with internal business partners regarding contract needs, obligations, and revisions;
- Exercise judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action;
- Drive Legal Department initiatives including promotion and training of self-authored contracts;
- Work in a team environment with other Contracts Associates.
Experience and Skills:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong proofreading and editing skills.
- Strong computer skills in database management and document preparation (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Excellent organization and time-management skills.
- Ability to manage a heavy workload and aggressive timelines, prioritize tasks and assignments, and work well under pressure.
- Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with Legal Department colleagues, internal business clients, and third party vendors/partners.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated, a quick learner, and have a strong work ethic.
- Must be able to exercise sound judgment in escalating issues to BioMarin in-house counsel.
- Experience in an office setting or customer service related position is a plus.
- Previous legal support, contracts administration, or other relevant experience is a plus.
- Interest or experience within biotech/pharma industry is a plus.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.