Category Manager, CAPEXLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Optimize supplier relationships while maximizing value and ensuring uninterrupted flow of purchased capital equipment, materials, and services. Develop, implement and manage procurement strategies, objectives, policies and programs. Directly responsible for development of supplier relations and management of individuals and programs to affect total cost efficiencies. Responsible for creating innovative techniques and tools for use in maximizing value in the procurement supply chain.
- Develop/maintain category and supplier strategies to support business/stakeholder objectives.
- Understand and periodically review category spend data to continuously evaluate options to reduce total cost.
- Leverage on market and supplier intelligence to drive value through our knowledge, insights and governance processes.
- Drive market intelligence and innovation - assess global market conditions and direction of assigned categories; partner with suppliers and internally to drive innovation
- Develop and lead cross-functional teams in support of capital projects, capital equipment procurement, and related commodities that leverage volume and knowledge to achieve maximum value.
- Design sourcing strategies and develop supplier relationships that achieve maximum value from the current and potential supplier base. Continuously refine strategies to adapt and improve delivery of objectives.
- Lead supplier selection process and negotiate contracts. Develop actionable recommendations based on a clear definition and articulation of options and tradeoffs. Develop action plans that anticipate implementation problems and leverages internal and supplier capabilities while building full commitment throughout the process.
- Monitor CAPEX category spending, both in aggregate and via patterns/cycles, and continuously evaluate options to reduce total cost of ownership. Propose policy and business case to drive corporate discipline in capital efficiency. Establish and deploy standards and monitor compliance.
- Serve as a conduit for innovation from supplier base. Develop market intelligence and benchmarking. Act as subject matter expert in capital procurement and supplier market dynamics. Proactively identify new markets and supplier sources.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of category specifications, BioMarin products and processes and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain in depth understanding of suppliers capabilities, capacity and overall financial stability. Assess supply risk and develop appropriate strategies to mitigate that risk. Ensure that suppliers have developed and tested contingency plans.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of contract terms and conditions including key performance requirements. Assure compliance to contracting policy and established contracts.
- Lead and facilitate resolution of supplier issues. Work closely with all related internal functions including Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, and R&D.
- Establish function scorecards and other communication vehicles to measure and report performance including supplier performance and value realized.
- Build cross functional awareness of the supplier management role across the organization.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives throughout the organization in the enhancement of functional processes and in the realization of material / service supply opportunities.
EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
- Five years of experience in management of capital procurement with responsibility for development and implementation of procurement strategies.
- Five years experience in a biopharmaceutical environment with procurement experience in support of both R&D and commercial production.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must possess solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills.
- Excellent project management skills required.
- Risk management skill set required to drive innovative solutions and problem solving analysis and resolution.
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft toolset and experience with eProcurement and ERP systems.
- Role model to subordinates and other groups for continuous improvement and ethical leadership.
Bachelor's Degree; MBA desirable; C.P.M. or A.P.P. desirable. Training in the creation and management of contracts. Advanced financial acumen. Formal training in current good manufacturing practices (cGMP) and Sarbanes/Oxley (SOX) requirements.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.