Associate Director, Tech Strategy, R&D Center of ExcellenceLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Director, Tech Strategy, R&D Center of Excellence (COE) is a role established to assist with the strategic alignment of R&D technology investments with the R&D organizational goals.
Reporting to the Director, Tech Strategy, COE, this role will partner primarily across BioMarin’s Research and Development and Information Management functions, with occasional touch points into the Manufacturing and Commercial functions.
The Associate Director role will ensure that the R&D technology investment strategy aligns with the goals and investment needs of the R&D organization. In doing so, the role will focus on identifying areas of opportunity to automate R&D processes resulting in significant improvements to the patient and site experience, and aligning BioMarin’s internal processes with industry best practices, thereby introducing greater efficiency.
A constant in BioMarin’s culture is how patients continue to drive us. The passion and dedication that our employees bring to work each day is a testament to the inspiration our patients provide, and the knowledge of the impact we can make in their lives. This role will share and help develop those values within the R&D COE organization.
Engage R&D functions to develop a technology strategy and roadmap in alignment with the desired capabilities and goals:
- Conduct internal capability analysis in alignment with R&D goals
- Determine areas of growth/opportunities that improve the patient/site experience and calibrate current state technology portfolio
- Make recommendations on technology investments based on benefits and best practices; develop a 1-3 year technology investment strategy and ensure all planned technology investments/roadmaps align to that strategy
- Continually monitor the external landscape and socialize changes in clinical development technology standards to R&D decision makers
- Act as a catalyst for change through active coaching on best practices and industry trends
- Lead evaluation and adoption of Clinical Development Technologies
- Engage with sourcing and operational teams on technology market research in the R&D technology areas, provide technology oversight during all vendor selection processes (bid defense, preferred vendor list creation); Provide content for vendor selection questionnaires and scoring criteria
- Identify areas of opportunity for automation of current manual processes
- Provide project management expertise on R&D COE projects that involve eventual technology implementation
- Lead governance activities as and when needed
- Conduct financial analysis, including TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) and break even analysis
- Be capable of managing junior staff in future, though the role does not have immediate line management responsibilities duties
- REQUIRED COMPETENCIES:
- Systems and Data Subject Matter Expertise : Conversant with the drug discovery and development process and the technologies that support the process, how information flows through the platforms and how data is utilized within and shared between platforms; Has hands on experience with organizational capability analysis, technology strategy and investment planning, technology evaluation, selection and implementation
- Leadership & Influence: Ability to influence decision makers and including senior executives. Facilitates groups with diverse perspectives, bring teams to consensus/alignment. High tolerance for ambiguity and able to create order from chaos. Builds credibility through solid relationships and solid track record of results; Ability to communicate effectively up and down, at all levels of the organization, present complex and/or new ideas with clarity and simplicity.
- Problem Solving & Decision Making: Ability to identify problems, define problem statements and benefits clearly and accurately, and apply structured and disciplined methodology to identify data-driven root causes and compelling value propositions. Innovative and effective in solution development, risk mitigation and execution.
- Planning, Prioritizing and Organization: Excellent planning and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and adapt. Able to synthesize large amounts of information. Able to deliver results despite shifting environment.
- Teamwork: Leads communication around what is expected, how and when it will be accomplished and how success will be measured; Takes accountability for actions, drives results, and able to learn from mistakes. Delivers on promises, goals, and expectations. Makes quality decisions and resolves problems with minimal delay as appropriate; Collaborates and builds effective networks upwards, downwards and across
- Learning agility, proactivity and Initiative – Curiosity and willingness to learn; ability to overcome learning curves rapidly; willingness to take calculated risks and open to new ideas; Strong work ethic; self-managed and motivated
- People Management - Leads high performing teams, mentors and guides team members and plans for succession
- Bachelor’s degree in Business/Technology is required, a Master’s Degree in Business/Technology is preferred
- Project Management (PMP) Certification is required
- 10+ years of experience in the BioPharma technology industry
- 8+ years of project management skills, preferably with 2-3 years of strategic project management
- Extensive experience with technology, including planning, evaluation, and adoption of technology
- Individual contribution towards the establishment of technology standards and best practices, including capability analysis, strategy planning and portfolio alignment
- Strong technology supplier relationship management skills
- Good understanding of Knowledge of Six Sigma/Lean body of knowledge and methodology
- Experience with tools such as Microsoft Project, process mapping tools such as Visio, brainstorming tools such as MindManager etc.
- Strong organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Good facilitation, change management, interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Highly motivated influencer who is a self-starter and takes ownership of their work and works within multiple priorities and competing deadlines.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills
- 2-3 years of people management skills
- Global/Multinational/X-US experience is a plus
- Knowledge and previous work experience with process mapping is a plus
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.