Associate Director, SEC Reporting and Technical AccountingLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after almost two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has six commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall company and is developing into a cutting edge global finance organization. It has operations in over 40 countries that drive significant global accounting and finance complexity. For the nine months ended September 30, 2018, strong demand and revenue growth across BioMarin’s commercialized products delivered total revenue of $1.1 Billion. The company has ambitious growth plans in the immediate future and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California
The Associate Director, SEC Reporting and Technical Accounting is responsible for the primary review over the preparation of all external financial statements and compliance reporting. The Associate Director must remain current on new GAAP pronouncements and SEC regulations as they are released and assess the impact to the Company. The Associate Director is responsible for ensuring compliance with internal controls over various aspects of the financial reporting process and filings with SEC and other regulatory bodies. The Associate Director will also share responsibility for development, implementation and maintenance of accounting policies. The Associate Director will also serve as a resource to the rest of the accounting department as a technical accounting resource and assist them in meeting the business needs for internal and external reporting.
The ideal candidate will be a certified public accountant with a recent blend of both Big 4/large regional CPA firm as well as public company reporting experience, however candidates at the Manager / Sr. Manager level direct from public accounting are also encouraged. The successful candidate will be a good communicator and able to effectively interact with all personnel levels within the Finance and Legal department as well as cross functionally in order to understand the Company’s business operations and their potential disclosure implications in our public filings. Candidate will have the ability to multi-task, work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and collaborate with peers. Candidate must possess a strong desire to learn and develop new skills while providing enhancements to the current financial reporting function. Strong organization and analytical skills and attention to detail are essential.Responsibilities:
Required tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the preparation of the Form 10-K, 10-Q and financial information related to the quarterly earnings releases, including all relevant support, and managing comments from internal management and external auditors to ensure timely filings;
- Ensure financial statements are in accordance with GAAP guidelines;
- Serves as a subject matter expert on US GAAP and SEC regulations for the preparation and filing of SEC reports;
- Provide technical accounting support on significant accounting issues and non-routine transactions, including consultations to the Business Development team on M&A and licensing deal structures and accounting considerations.
- Retain, develop, and mentor the Sr. Manager of SEC Reporting…
- Review work papers prepared by Senior Manager Financial Reporting to support disclosures included in financial statements and SEC Filings (e.g., footnotes, MD&A, business overview updates);
- Review and approval of changes to XBRL tagging proposed by the Senior Manager Financial Reporting & Internal Controls;
- Review of Quarterly Disclosure Checklist;
- Review WASO and EPS calculations;
- Assist Investor Relations with preparation of earnings release; Financial Statements, Guidance and Non-GAAP disclosures and related tie-out procedures
- Responsible for stock compensation and equity accounting, including stock-based compensation, expense calculation and assumption evaluation;
- Assists with identifying process improvements to streamline the reporting process, including the preparation of SEC filings, Earnings Release and supporting disclosures schedules;
- Develop accounting policies and advise on operations changes arising from new GAAP and SEC rules;
- Establish, communicate and/or document policies and procedures for the accounting department;
- Research, analyze and assess the impact of new technical accounting issues and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions;
- Analyze the financial, accounting and economic impacts of proposed transactions as required;
- Adapt to non-routine and fast paced environment;
- Provide strategic analysis of financial data and ad hoc financial reporting, as needed; and
- Other projects and activities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. CPA or equivalent experience required.
- 7-10+ years of relevant experience (biotech industry preferred)
- Advanced understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Strong attention to detail, decision-making, problem-solving, time management and organizational skills
- Strong project management, organizational, analytical, and problem solving skills. Must be highly detail oriented.
- Process-oriented, ability to work with others and lead and affect process change and improvements.
- Excellent Excel spreadsheet skills including financial modeling, accounting system and proficiency with other Microsoft Office products (Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Oracle/Hyperion reporting experience a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral, to facilitate interaction through all levels of the organization
- Ability to research and propose resolutions on complex accounting issues
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize reporting and other management systems and tools
- Experience in preparing SEC financial filings for a public company, including use of SEC filing platform, such as Active Disclosure (RRD)
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point and computerized G/L and financial reporting systems.
- Heavy interaction with Finance executive leadership including CFO, CAO, Corporate Controller, Senior Directors of Corporate Accounting, Accounting Operations and North America Accounting as well business partners outside of finance including Commercial Operations, Technical Operations, Legal and Human Resources; other Finance and IM Department management and staff; cost center managers; external auditors; internal audit.