Associate Director, Intercompany & ConsolidationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is a world leader in developing therapies to treat rare genetic diseases, and after more than two decades, BioMarin’s extensive research and development efforts continue to expand the boundaries of medicine. Guided by its commitment to the rare disease community, the Company seeks to rapidly develop first-in-class or best-in-class therapies that will make a meaningful difference to small patient populations.
BioMarin has six commercialized products and multiple clinical and pre-clinical product candidates in its pipeline. The Company’s clinical success on behalf of its rare disease patients has produced robust revenue growth from BioMarin’s existing products.
BioMarin Finance is growing rapidly with the overall company and is developing into a cutting-edge global finance organization. BioMarin has over $1.5 billion in annual revenues and operations in over 40 countries that drive a fast-paced and dynamic environment with significant global accounting and finance complexity.BioMarinhas ambitious growth plans in the immediate future and has an enthusiastic global finance team that is eager to deliver a world-class accounting and finance function to BioMarin and its stakeholders.
BioMarin trades on the Nasdaq under ticker BMRN and is headquartered in San Rafael, California
Reporting to the Corporate Controller, the Associate Director, Intercompany & Consolidations will be responsible for managing BioMarin’s global fiscal close process and global intercompany accounting function. An important part of this role will be to coach, mentor and develop the two accountants who are direct reports.
The successful candidate will be a good communicator and able to effectively interact with all personnel levels within the Finance as well as cross functionally to understand the Company’s business operations and their potential implications to our reporting and consolidation processes.Candidate will have the ability to multi-task, work independently in a fast-paced dynamic environment and collaborate with peers. Strong organization and analytical skills and attention to detail are essential.
Close, Consolidations & Financial Reporting
- Direct the global financial close cycle, including the global close calendar, key cross-functional milestones and non-routine transactions. Coordinate closely with corporate, regional and functional counterparts
- Provide corporate oversight to global system configurations for Cadency Close Tool, which provides governance over the global account reconciliation and financial close processes and strategies.
- Take a global leadership role in maintaining corporate accounting policies, including intercompany, journal entries, account reconciliations and foreign exchange.
- Design and implementrelated global close and process improvements and efficiencies, in collaboration with regional Accounting teams.
- Collaborate with various business partners as needed to resolve consolidation ledger issues and develop operational policies and procedures in areas of responsibility
- Manage the collection, consolidation and review of quarterly SEC disclosure data from the regional Accounting teams.
- Assist with SEC reporting, technical accounting, local compliance or tax teams on reporting inquiries
- Lead development and execution of consolidated quarterly financial analytics, including financial results and metrics reporting presented to the Corporate Controller, CAO, CFO, CEO, External Auditors and Audit Committee.
- Design and implement global process improvements and efficiencies, in collaboration with the SEC and regional Accounting teams for quarterly reporting deliverables to Corporate
- Lead and coordinate internal and external audit requests
- Maintain and perform SOX controls within areas of responsibility
- Provide guidance on new entities set up and maintain chart of accounts in the ERP system
- Manage, develop and mentor 2 direct reports.
- Perform other duties and ad hoc requests
- Manage timely and accurate intercompany elimination of BMRN entities within our financial system.
- Develop systems and processes that reduce risk of intercompany out-of-balances, provide process efficiencies, and standardize global processes for intercompany transactions
- Provide guidance to regional accounting teams on how to best record, reconcile and report on intercompany transactions
- Collaborate with Tax and Treasury teams on various intercompany transactions including global entity structure strategy, capital funding, loan arrangements, IP transfers, etc.
- Support and assist Tax lead strategic projects (i.e. Transfer pricing)
- Review intercompany journal entries, analyses and reconciliations
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field is required. CPA or equivalent experience required.
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant and progressive accounting experience with mix of Big 4 public accounting and industryexperience in Finance and Accounting, reflecting increasing levels of responsibility. (global/multinational corporate experience with complex tax structure preferred)
- Minimum 6 years of management experience
- Strong leadership skills with experience of empowering people; developing individual skills to their maximum potential, training and employee development as well as continuous improvement
- Willingness and ability to work hands-on, collaboratively and with a sense of urgency, in a fast-paced environment
- Process-oriented, ability to work with others and lead and affect process change and improvements
- Experience of dealing directly with the business to understand activities that derive the accounting
- Proven record of leading projects to successful conclusion
- ERP system experience
- Understanding of global entity structures and multi-country/currency environments
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage multiple deadlines
- Strong verbal and written communications skills
- Strong understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
- Oracle/Hyperion reporting experience a plus
- Computer skills including Excel, Word, Power Point and computerized G/L and financial reporting systems
- Heavy interaction with Finance executive leadership including CFO, CAO, Corporate Controller, Regional Accounting teams, FP&A, Accounting Operations, Tax and Treasury as well as other Finance and IM Department management and staff; cost center managers; external auditors; internal audit.
- Two Direct Reports:Sr. Manger Corporate Accounting & Consolidations and Senior Corporate Accountant
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.