Associate Director, Global Program ManagementLocation San Rafael, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Associate Director position is a leadership role that provides opportunity for strategic influence on key program teams. The Associate Director combines their advanced project management skills and deep understanding of clinical drug development to lead PM activities for complex programs and may support more than one program at a time. The AD facilitates teams such as Clinical Development Team, Study Teams, and/or Medical Affairs Teams in the execution of key deliverables and fosters positive team dynamics to sustain team engagement and effectiveness.
The Associate Director is an excellent communicator, is able to efficiently synthesize information from a variety of sources and identify interdependencies, and leverages a solutions-focused mindset to develop options to work through setbacks. The AD’s ability to earn respect as a trusted leader and mentor will be essential to their success. In addition, the Associate Director is a capable manager and developer of people in the organization.
Strategy and Planning
- Manage the Clinical Development Team and/or Medical Affairs Team for a program. Collaborate with the lead to ensure the Clinical Development Plan (CDP) or Strategic Medical Plan (SMP) as appropriate is consistent with the product development strategy as derived from the Target Product Profile (TPP).
- Oversee the development and maintenance of the cross functional timeline supporting the overall program strategy, highlighting dependencies, milestones, deliverables, and critical path.
- Identify and leverage interdependencies in short-, mid-, and long-term project and study plans.
- Create scenarios and facilitate cross-functional input to enable decision making.
- Facilitate development and management of Program Risk Mitigation Plan ensuring execution and alignment of risk mitigation efforts.
- Developing as a thought partner for the Core Team Leader and other members of the Core Team to develop and oversee execution of an integrated global strategic plan which provides high quality data that enables efficient and effective decision making to maximize the value of assets.
- Manage a cross-functional PM team that facilitates the integration of all key work streams supporting the program, identifying interdependencies and risks, developing scenarios, and ensuring effective communication with other program teams and functional area leadership.
- Ensure teams/functions are tracking to key deliverable and milestone timelines and prepare reports/dashboards.
- Advocate and drive for overall project execution quality – propose, facilitate and implement plans to resolve issues and execute corrective actions.
- Organize and facilitate team meetings such as the CDT in partnership with the area lead – ensure meeting agendas and minutes are issued, monitor action items to completion, identify and communicate/escalate program-wide interdependencies, issues, and key decisions.
- Interfacing with the Program Management Lead for the product, communicate objectives, plans and timelines from Core Team to sub-teams.
- Actively mentor/coach GPM team members.
- Lead ad-hoc working groups that result from CDT, Study Teams, and/or Medical Affairs Team as needed.
- Develop and manage steering committee meetings or clinical advisory boards in collaboration with Clinical Science.
- Work with Team Leaders to coordinate cross-functional activities from data generation through clinical study report development in collaboration with BioMetrics, Clinical Medical Writing and other functions.
- Remain current in PM best practices and propose improvements for the GPM department to enhance program management effectiveness.
- Represent and be an advocate for the GPM department within BioMarin.
Education and Experience
- BA/BS in a scientific or technical field. MA desirable. Experience in lieu of education accepted.
- Minimum of 10 years total relevant experience (including industry, project management, or academia), with at least 7 years in a project management role.
- 2 or more years of experience in people management preferred.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.