Associate Director / Director, Business Development - Gene TherapyLocation San Rafael, California
BioMarin is dynamic environment wherein employees thrive by working collaboratively across a variety of functions. By leading through example, our employees embrace our patient therapy innovations by working on a variety of projects and readily adapting to situational needs. By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, our General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Reporting to the Head of Business and Corporate Development, the role will be titled according to the experience level of the individual hired. This role will serve as a key member of the Corporate and Business Development team, working closely with cross functional partners and the executive management team to advance initiatives that support the corporate vision and goals. These initiatives include buy-side activities, sell-side activities, and corporate strategy projects.
This position will play a leading role for the strategic plans to enter and expand new business opportunities with a specific focus on rare diseases. This individual will also drive the business development process externally with biopharmaceutical companies targeting licensing/acquisition of key therapeutic assets, R&D collaborations, and related enabling collaborations. This role will include all aspects of developing a focused strategy and executing on it, namely: prospecting, prioritizing opportunities, evaluating, conducting diligence, transacting and implementing business and collaboration opportunities for BioMarin, working effectively cross functionally (e.g. R&D, commercial, finance, etc.)
The position will be primarily responsible for search, evaluation, diligence, and transactions for assets / opportunities that advance BioMarin’s product pipeline. Depending on candidate skills and business needs, focus may be early stage (preclinical and early clinical) OR late stage (mid-late clinical and commercial). This individual will work closely with others on the BD team with platform/TA specific knowledge, along with the Head of Business Development on select corporate strategy projects and select sell side projects.
- Maintain contacts and relationships related to external opportunities consistent with company strategy
- Be the specific disease area knowledge owner by understanding the disease biology, influential KOs, treatment paradigm, new and emerging therapeutics
- Conduct/manage primary and secondary market research as part of evaluating new product development opportunities. Generate revenue forecasts, P&L models, and NPV analyses for deals
- Attend scientific and medical conferences to stay abreast of new developments in key therapeutic areas
- Identify, develop and nurture scientific and business relationships within biopharmaceutical companies, academia, and other stakeholders
- Work with internal research, development, commercial and financial analytics experts on evaluation, due diligence and initial product development plan for proposed transactions. This includes supporting the overall product evaluation process, including clinical/scientific assessments, evaluation of the commercial opportunity, analysis of the competitive landscape, and financial modeling
- Develop valuation models for product development projects sourced externally. Help to manage internal due diligence process. Lead and manage cross-functional interactions with Clinical, Non Clinical, Commercial, Regulatory, Finance, IP, and Manufacturing, to conduct detailed evaluation process and prioritize and execute on transactions.
- In conjunction with evaluation team, prioritize and license best-in-class assets as basis for new therapies
- Participate in structuring and negotiation of term sheets and definitive agreements for licensing and acquisition transactions, working closely with Head of Business and Corporate Development
Core contributor to Corporate & Business Development team to ensure individual and departmental goals are achieved by providing leadership, team support and driving other key initiatives
- B.S. degree in biological sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, pharmacology, biomedical engineering) with MBA, and/or PhD and/or MD
- Extensive experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical company
- Robust understanding of the full drug development process, lifecycle management and commercialization of therapeutics
- Strong scientific/technical acumen
- Solid network and reputation in the biopharmaceutical arenas.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent leadership/influencing skills. Adept at managing internal stakeholders (e.g. R&D, commercial, etc.) and external communications
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet business needs
- Track record of driving from inception to execution including valuation, diligence, deal engineering and leading negotiations with particular emphasis with pursuing and closing “buy side” value-creating deals with biopharmaceutical companies.
- A strategic thinker with outstanding business instincts who can help chart the course and translate into actionable, value-creating results for the company.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills with the ability to make sound business judgments.
- An ability to embrace teamwork and collaboration.
- Ability to influence
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity, strong executive presence and the ability to work effectively in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience in commercial organization or medical affairs in biotech / pharma
- Experience in top tier management consulting firm
- Post graduate qualification required. MD and/or PhD preferred.