Associate Director, Corporate Real Estate Analytics and OperationsLocation San Rafael, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
BioMarin’s Corporate Real Estate & Workplace (CREW) team handles strategic capital investment planning, campus planning and design, space assignment, and move management for BioMarin facilities. Our work includes strategic planning to align business needs with capital solutions through identification of siting, master planning, design oversight, development requirements, occupancy planning, and management of the real estate portfolio to optimize asset utilization. We work closely with BioMarin colleagues across the entire organization in providing space to accommodate our growth. We work at a high level to determine how and where we will use space, and at the tactical level to ensure the business needs regarding space and workplace are fully met in project execution.
The Associate Director, Real Estate Analytics and Operations will oversee and manage the suite of real estate and capital investment planning tools and including: CAFM, business intelligence (BI) platform, lease administration, and Oracle Portfolio Project Management (OPPM). This person will become the lead of the analytics program, reporting on and analyzing data collected, managing the global strategic capital portfolio, assisting with global strategic real estate planning, and producing executive reporting.
- Manage the implementation and operation of the suite of real estate and capital investment planning and management software including space planning, lease administration, project management, capital investment planning, and overall business analytics
- Lead the analytics program using the data garnered from the suite of real estate and capital investment planning and management software
- Develop and improve overall data management processes by bringing forward unique solutions and innovative approaches
- Develop reports, presentations, etc. to analyze the data collected in order to better manage the real estate and capital planning portfolios and support Strategic Investment Planning activities
- Manage the global Strategic Capital Portfolio reporting activities including (1) routine interactive monthly financial, operational, and performance reporting to executive management and (2) ad-hoc reporting activities for the department.
- Oversee global lease administration processes, procedures and associated reporting activities.
- Ensure ongoing business functions related to real estate/facilities are managed seamlessly (e.g. coordination of rental payments with internal accounts payable team)
- Work with internal corporate counsel and external brokerage(s) to navigate real estate acquisition process, as driven by business need and directed by leadership
- Support and/or coordinate lease negotiations, letters of intent, amendments, renewals, etc.
- Ensure timeliness of acquisition process, adhering to timelines as necessary to support the business
- Work with stakeholders spanning other areas (e.g. legal, accounting, facilities operations, security, etc.) to ensure smooth transitions from a business operations standpoint related to real estate acquisitions and divestitures
- Oversee and coordinate lease administration systems, and become the go-to internal person for data related to BioMarin leased and owned facilities
- Develop and maintain comprehensive databases related to real estate/facilities spanning multiple areas of focus including, but not limited to:
- Overall facilities portfolio makeup (owned and leased)
- Historic (trailing) OpEx costs (by building, by square footage, by seat, etc.)
- Historic CapEx costs for real estate (e.g. construction costs for past projects by square foot, by seat, etc.)
- Attend real estate industry conferences, tradeshows and symposiums on emerging trends and best practices.
Required Skills & Expectations:
- At least 12 years of experience in one or more of the following: corporate real estate, corporate finance, real estate planning and technology, and/or other business leadership experience
- Strong leadership skills that include vision and ability to articulate, sell, and garner support for new ideas. Must be inspirational, persuasive and have an ability to effect change across a broad range of business units.
- Strong analytical and financial skills in developing, analyzing, interpreting and presenting solutions
- Demonstrated business and financial acumen to make strategic decisions, engage in negotiations, evaluate issues and propose solutions.
- Ability to influence and build credibility as a "trusted advisor" with leadership from global functions and geographies.
- Demonstrated project management experience, ability to work independently and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Proven ability to manage multiple, fast moving priorities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including exceptional written and oral presentation skills.
- Strong time management, organizational planning, and problem solving skills.
- Comfort navigating between ambiguous concepts and concrete plans
- Demonstrated self-motivator and proactive in coordinating with teams virtually across multiple international geographic locations and spanning varied backgrounds and functions
- Expert knowledge of Excel and Tableau (or other BI tool) in order to analyze and report on large data sets; advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat
- Experience using Oracle Project Portfolio Management (OPPM) or similar
- Experience using CAFM systems
- Experience in managing or negotiating leases or other real estate agreements
- Understanding of biotech concepts and terminology
- SQL skills are beneficial
Bachelor’s Degree, with significant coursework in business, real estate, engineering, or related fields. MBA preferred.
Primary work tools are personal computers and mini-notebooks and related peripheral devices (printers, bar code scanner).
- Position requires regular interaction with external parties such as contractors, architects, engineers, consultants, vendors, etc.
- Position requires regular interaction with internal parties such as Capital Project Management, Facilities & Engineering, Legal, Finance, EHS&S (Environment, Health, Safety and Sustainability), Maintenance, Purchasing, Technical Operations and Project Managers, etc.
Position may entail direct supervision of consultants and contractors as required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must have the ability to perform moderate physical activity.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- The employee must have the ability to perform complex tasks with attention to detail.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.