Associate Director, Corporate Counsel - Managed Care ContractsLocation San Rafael, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an attorney to join a fast-paced, dynamic corporate legal department supporting a global biopharmaceutical company by advising on cutting edge legal issues, including those related to innovative contracting and financing strategies for gene therapy, and loss of exclusivity. The primary responsibilities of the Associate Director, Corporate Counsel for Managed Care Contracts will be to draft, review and negotiate payer contracts and to provide general legal advice to the company’s commercial organization on issues related thereto. The position requires close collaboration with internal commercial business partners and the other attorneys in the Legal Department.
- Work closely with commercial teams to initiate innovative yet financially and legally viable contracting strategies for the sale of select BioMarin products.
- Review, draft and negotiate rebate/discount and outcomes-based contracts as appropriate with customers, including payers, channel partners and group purchasing organizations.
- Advise on potential legal issues and appropriate risk mitigation strategies related to customer contracting, including antitrust, antikickback and price reporting issues.
- Advise on legal issues related to government contracts and assist with drafting and pull through of reasonable assumptions related to government price reporting calculations.
- Provide advice to business on and ensure compliance with relevant state regulations, including state price transparency reporting
- Advise the market access, managed markets and channel strategy teams on access strategies and other initiatives to enhance the success of BioMarin products.
- Apply innovative problem-solving skills and practical judgment to minimize risk.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional stakeholder groups.
- Assist with ongoing training of the Commercial Organization to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and company policies and procedures.
- Provide support for senior attorneys as needed.
- Assist in the supervision of contract associates to enable drafting and review of high-volume vendor and service contracts.
Experience and Skills
- 5+ years previous legal experience required, including experience at a major law firm, demonstrating growth and the ability to succeed.
- Experience in pharmaceutical industry required.
- Experience drafting, reviewing and negotiating commercial agreements required.
- Knowledge of the managed markets/payer industry, rebate agreements, specialty pharmacies and related payer groups, Medicare, Tricare, 340B and other government programs required.
- Excellent organization and time-management skills required. Must be able to manage multiple projects and aggressive timelines in a diligent manner, prioritize and work under pressure.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills required.
- Strong team orientation. Must be able to collaborate effectively in a dynamic, fast-paced, cross functional environment.
- Ability to work onsite at San Rafael, CA headquarters at least three days a week.
- J.D. required from a nationally recognized law school.
- Current California bar membership or eligibility for In-House Counsel Certification required
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.