Sr Research Associate I or Research Associate II - In Vivo for Hematology (non-oncology)Location Petaluma, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a motivated (Sr) Research Associate I/II to join the non-oncology Hematology Therapeutic Area at BioMarin. The successful candidate will have a hands-on role in the development, optimization, and implementation of genetic rodent models of hematological diseases. The ideal candidate will have extensive in vivo experience researching genetic non-malignant hematology disorders, particularly in the context of evaluating novel therapeutic approaches (including but not limited to biologics, small molecules, and gene therapies) and mode of action. In vivo or ex vivo responsibilities include administration of test articles, liver perfusion and digestion, blood collection as well as small animal microscopic surgeries to conducting bleeding challenge models in rodents. These methodologies/protocols require optimization, so an individual who is proficient in performing In vivo procedures and ex vivo assays related to hemostasis is highly desired.
- Organize and maintain mouse colonies
- Assist in the design and execution of in vivo model systems/proof of concept studies to understand mechanisms underlying AAV gene therapy efficacy, variability, and durability
- Assist in the development of new techniques and/or optimization of current techniques to assess efficacy of therapies targeting the hemostasis system
- Perform in vivo lab experiments including but not limited to dosing (ip, iv, sc, im, etc.) studies, husbandry, vessel injury, bleeding risk assessment, and whole blood/tissue collections.
- Recognize and adhere to IACUC standards of in vivo research
- Perform data recording and statistical analysis; Document all experimental procedures and data in electronic notebook
- Engage with project teams in a collaborative manner
- Share responsibility for lab maintenance duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Proficiency with standard in vivo operations: Animal handling, anesthesia, drug dosing (i.v. injections), tissue and blood collections.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of hematology with an emphasis on coagulation, thrombosis and hemostasis are highly desirable
- Basic knowledge of and hands-on experience with rodent in vivo and ex vivo models of hemostasis and bleeding is highly preferred
- In vivo surgical experience is preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a dynamic environment
- Strong organizational and time-management skills and a desire to learn new techniques
- Computer skills such as experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, GraphPad Prism.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Bachelor (BS / BA) degree in a biological or biochemical field with 4 - 6 years experience, Masters (MS) degree in a biological or biochemical field, with 2 years work experience in in vivo experimentation.
Persons without in vivo experience need not apply.
- RA 2: Bachelor plus 4 years industry experience or Master’s plus 2 years industry experience
- SRA 1: Bachelor plus 4-6 years industry experience or Master’s plus 2-4 years industry experience
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.