Scientist I or Technical Scientist I, In Vivo for Biology ResearchLocation Petaluma, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
We are seeking a motivated Scientist or Technical Scientist to join the Musculoskeletal Therapeutic Area at BioMarin. The successful candidate will have a hands-on role in the development, characterization, and implementation of genetic models of muscular and skeletal disease and play a key part in driving our portfolio forward. The role includes in vivo experimentation (invention of novel models and methodology, along with handling, dosing, collecting), data acquisition, data analysis and communication of experimental findings to internal teams. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record on in vivo models of muscular and/or skeletal disease and will support the development and execution of in vivo PK/PD/efficacy studies from research to early development and IND submission. The candidate will be required to work seamlessly within a matrixed environment that includes various biology functions, and across different research projects. This position is ideal for an organized and independent individual who wants to play an active role in musculoskeletal disease research and therapeutics’ development.
- Organize and maintain mouse colonies - schedule should be flexible based on animal care needs (weekend and holiday work will be required as needed)
- Assist in the design of in vivo model systems/proof of concept studies that promote the translatability between animal models and human disease
- Perform in vivo lab experiments including but not limited to dosing (ip, iv, sc, po), PK/PD studies, husbandry, sample/tissue collections
- Recognize and adhere to IACUC standards of in vivo research
- Review and contribute to study synopses, protocols, study reports and regulatory documents
- Perform data recording and statistical analysis; Document all experimental procedures and data in electronic notebook
- Engage with project teams in a collaborative manner
- Present results, analyses, conclusions, and implications to the team
- Share responsibility over lab maintenance duties
- Scientist: PhD with 0-2+ years or relevant experience, musculoskeletal research background is highly desired
- Technical Scientist: Bachelor’s degree and 10+ years of experience or Master’s degree with 8+ years of relevant experience, musculoskeletal research background is highly desired
- Demonstrated ability in rodent handling (mouse, rat) and experience with PK/PD studies and different routes of administration: IP, IV, SC, PO
- In vivo surgical experience is strongly preferred, experience with in vivo imaging is a plus
- Experience in managing contract research organizations is desirable
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a dynamic environment
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, desire to learn new techniques
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.