VP, Novato Site Head, ManufacturingLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Global Manufacturing, the Vice President – Novato Operations will direct all protein and gene therapy vector manufacturing operations at the Novato manufacturing site. This leader will provide strong scientific, technical, and managerial leadership for Manufacturing operations. They must also build and maintain collaborative working relationships with functional areas/departments and ensure alignment is maintained across the broader Manufacturing Network. This role is uniquely positioned where he/she is expected to support BioMarin’s product and technical development needs as well as ensure successful commercialization of our pipeline assets. The Novato Site will be expected to maintain a state of compliance, ensure operations are both reliable and cost competitive, and foster an inclusive work environment that values the diversity of all perspectives.
The VP – Novato Operations will be a member of the Global Manufacturing Leadership Team where they will have shared accountability for managing the business, setting BioMarin’s vision and developing and delivering its strategic roadmap. This role will also be a key member of other governance forums within Technical Operations and across BioMarin.
Specific responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
▪ Provide strategic and tactical leadership for clinical and commercial manufacturing operations located in Novato, California (~ 500 employees and an operating budget of ~ $150 million)
▪ Lead cross-functional Site Leadership team and establish necessary governance structures to support mission of the Site
▪ Ensure facilities and manufacturing systems are cGMP compliant, operations are performed safely, and activities are orchestrated that ensure reliable supply of quality product
▪ Continuously evaluate Site capabilities in context of an evolving Site portfolio, business requirements, and performance of industry peers
▪ Participate and contribute to strategic planning discussions for Technical Operations. Develop and execute an annual Business Plan engaging Site Leadership in assessing capacity, capabilities, staffing, costs, business processes, and risks in context of our overarching strategy.
▪ Ensure management system is in place that provides clear visibility to both operating and financial performance of the Site and trends of concern that can be proactively mitigated
▪ Leverage principles of Operational Excellence to build a continuous improvement agenda aimed at reducing variability and improving cost competitiveness
▪ Establish thorough understanding of COGM/COGS variables of influence and drive improvement plan across the Novato Site
▪ Set aspirational goals and cultivate a culture of continuous improvement and accountability. Engage and align employees to Site goals and objectives – One Team.
▪ Promote a collaborative environment working closely with key partners and stakeholders
▪ Develop and retain a cohesive, professional, empowered, high-performing team of experienced, qualified manufacturing and technical support staff
▪ Provide timely, detailed information to all stakeholders on manufacturing activities, issues, and approaches to problem resolution
The VP – Novato Operations will be working with the SVP Global Manufacturing to continue to build both technical capabilities but also human capital capabilities for the site and broader technical operations group. This position is responsible for obtaining superior contribution from the operation by establishing and accomplishing business objectives, managing, and developing human resources and continuously developing both technical and operational capability.
Requirements to be considered for the role
To be considered for the role, the ideal candidates will bring the following qualifications:
▪ Bachelor's degree in a Life Sciences, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Biochemical Engineering discipline required
▪ Minimum of 15 years of relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry (operations, quality, supply chain)
▪ 10+ years of direct experience in a GMP manufacturing environment and prior Plant Management experience
▪ Broad experience in GMP manufacturing across multiple platforms preferred (biologics; gene/cell therapy; parenteral manufacturing):
Critical competencies for success
In terms of the performance and personal competencies required for the position, we would highlight the following:
▪ The ability to create and articulate an inspiring vision for the organization, not only for the areas s/he is directly responsible for, but the enterprise as a whole.
▪ The inclination to seek and analyze data from a variety of sources to support decisions and to align others with the organization's overall strategy.
▪ An entrepreneurial and creative approach to developing new, innovative ideas that will stretch the organization and push the boundaries within the industry.
▪ The ability to effectively balance the desire/need for broad change with an understanding of how much change the organization is capable of handling, to create realistic goals and implementation plans that are achievable and successful.
Executing for Results
▪ The ability to set clear and challenging goals while committing the organization to improved performance; tenacious and accountable in driving results.
▪ Comfortable with ambiguity and uncertainty; the ability to adapt nimbly and lead others through complex situations.
▪ A risk-taker who seeks data and input from others to foresee possible threats or unintended circumstances from decisions; someone who takes smart risks.
▪ A leader who is viewed by others as having a high degree of integrity and forethought in his/her approach to making decisions; the ability to act in a transparent and consistent manner while always taking into account what is best for the organization.
▪ The ability to attract and recruit top talent, motivate the team, delegate effectively, celebrate diversity within the team, and manage performance; widely viewed as a strong developer of others.
▪ The ability to persevere in the face of challenges and exhibit a steadfast resolve and relentless commitment to higher standards, which commands respect from followers.
▪ A leader who is self-reflective and aware of his/her own limitations; leads by example and drives the organization's performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
Relationships and Influence
▪ Naturally connects and builds strong relationships with others, demonstrating strong emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate clearly and persuasively.
▪ An ability to inspire trust and followership in others through compelling influence, powerful charisma, passion in his/her beliefs, and active drive.
▪ Encourages others to share the spotlight and visibly celebrates and supports the success of the team.
▪ Creates a sense of purpose/meaning for the team that generates followership beyond his/her own personality and engages others to the greater purpose for the organization as a whole.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.