Systems Administrator (TEMPORARY)Location Novato, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
- Provide hardware, operating system and application-level technical support for systems maintained by the Information Management Lab Technology group including validated system environments
- Responsible for administering and maintaining lab computer systems, assisting users, and managing escalated service desk tickets
- Support Business system owners, Solutions Architects/Engineers, IM Infrastructure, and vendors to facilitate application improvements and repairs.
- Best suited for a person who has worked in a strict change management environment, enjoys working in a team atmosphere, thrives on new challenges, and has the ability to make technology solutions work for business challenges presented to IT by its clients
- May also be assigned new project work implementing and deploying systems, applications or processes
- Support new applications and systems, including working with business units, researching solutions, coordinating internal and external resources, creating documentation, and managing rollout
- Demonstrate an ability to maintain systems within a rigorous change control environment (Change Requests, TrackWise) and knowledge of SDLCs management (VDL)
- Work with business units to identify and resolve issues impacting business processes
- Provide 2nd or 3rd level technical assistance to end users as a component of managing escalated helpdesk requests
- Must have a strong understanding of IT Support as a business function (SLA’s, ITIL practices, etc.)
- Perform Imaging for new deployments of Lab Systems (MDT, SCCM…)
- Hardware troubleshooting knowledge (Hard-Drive, Memory, RAID; especially on Lenovo/Dell PC desktops)
- Scripting knowledge (DOS Batch, PowerShell)
- Troubleshoot system outages and other issues impacting production
- Provide documentation around the preparation, deployment, procedures, and design of IT system environments (Work Instructions, System Design Docs)
- Maintain solutions in conjunction with business unit owners and cross-functional project teams
- Provide system verification with regards to acceptable performance and accessibility of newly deployed IT solutions from remote locations
- Work with vendors to identify and resolve problems
- Work with partners to troubleshoot access issues or other problems
- Technical writing, email and verbal communication
- Candidate must be a strong team player recognizing personal improvement and awards are best achieved by making those around you successful
- Other related duties as assigned
Bachelor of Science in Computer Sciences, Engineering, Business, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience implementing/troubleshooting Windows based Workstations
- Exposure to validated laboratory environments, change management, and ability to comply to such regulatory agency requirements
- Experience with supporting Laboratory Applications is a plus (e.g. GE Unicorn, Empower, MODA, SoftMax Pro, WinKQCL, Vicell, Chemstation, ELN)
- Experience with desktop operating systems, Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Basic understanding of IT systems development life-cycle (SDLC)
- Experience with Windows/Linux Server operating systems is a plus
- Experience with database platforms (SQL and Oracle) is a plus
- Experience with VMware virtualization platform (Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp) is a plus
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.