System ArchitectLocation Novato, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations company wide, BioMarin’s General and Administrative teams support our mission of providing first and best in class therapeutics to patients who live with rare diseases. Our teams include groups such as finance, legal, human resources, corporate compliance and ethics, and information technology. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Information Management Scientific Platforms (IM SP) department seeks a highly talented and motivated System Architect to support the BioMarin’s informatics and scientific platforms. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to partner closely with both IT professionals and scientists within our research, manufacturing sciences and information technology departments. She/he will play a key role in evaluating, designing, deploying and maintaining hardware and software systems. A strong candidate will have a successful track record implementing, maintaining, and/or working with distributed systems and scientific software in Linux ecosystem. Experience with pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical fields would be a plus.
BioMarin is a high-performing, team based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. Applicants must bring a high level of initiative, energy and motivation to the role and have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Contribute to the development and on-going support of informatics applications with the overall goal keeping systems functional and usable by scientists.
- Establish and maintain cloud infrastructure governance to support projections with supported usage reporting and subsequent Finance department billing.
- Provide solutions for multiple highly critical applications in a FDA regulated biotech environment.
- Develop and administer High Performance Computing (HPC) and other informatics system procedures for design, build, release, run and monitor.
- Assist in authoring of System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) supporting documentation and tests (e.g., User Requirements, Technical Requirements, System Architecture, Design Specification, Application Configuration, Functional Requirements, User Acceptance Test).
- Aid in the development, deployment and maintenance of software applications and workflows.
- Provide guidance and consultation in technical matters such as network integration, hardware selection and system configuration.
- Evaluate emerging technologies for current projects and future initiatives at BioMarin; applicable to system architecture, data management and other similar areas.
- Prepare documentation and training to support stakeholders and their related processes.
- Possibly assist with off-hours monthly maintenance patching and updating activities as related to scientific and analytical applications or similar systems.
- This role is located in Novato and San Rafael California in the United States and will require up to 10% travel.
- Minimum 1 year work experience in an informatics, high performance computing (HPC), research or data sciences setting (administration, development, operations and/or technical support).
- Demonstrated ability to implement, upgrade and maintain systems with a rigorous change control environment from inception to release.
- Experience working in a GxP or other regulated environment (e.g. FDA, EMA) with validated systems.
- Have a general knowledge of the underlying scientific principles applied to informatics in the life sciences.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux (e.g., Red Hat Enterprise Linux), shell scripting, development operations (DevOps) technologies and programing (e.g., Python, R, SAS).
- Experience managing database server or big data platforms preferred (e.g., MySQL, Postgres, SQL Server, Oracle, Hive, Spark).
- Experience maintaining web application servers is a plus (e.g., IIS, Apache, Nginx, Node).
- Familiarity with software engineering best practices (e.g., source code control, test driven development).
- A strong communicator who can speak effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor and detail.
- Experience working with Cloud/Infrastructure as a service technologies.
- Experiences with software testing and performance profiling is preferred.
Minimum B.S. or greater in Computer Science, Engineering, Life Sciences or a related technical field or significant experience in supporting HPC or Big Data platforms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.