Sr. Specialist, Global LogisticsLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Sr. Global Logistics Specialist is responsible for managing the commercial and clinical order / demand process from forecast through to delivery including Drug Substance, Drug Product, and Finished Goods. This position supports the planning and distribution of BioMarin Pharmaceutical products to and from third party manufacturing, packaging, and distribution facilities globally, while supporting our scientists and researchers developing the next generation of therapies. In executing these shipments, the Sr. Global Logistics Specialist will be involved in export/import compliance, distribution center, and transportation management activities. The Sr. Specialist will serve as a liaison between various internal and external partners to ensure the timely production and delivery of orders and lead logistics activities. The position involves evaluating inventory availability and balancing against customer requirements. Additionally, the Sr. Specialist will participate in the process analysis and improvement efforts for the Logistics team as it digitizes the BioMarin supply chain: automating tasks, tracking and exception management via our visualization platform partners.Note that individual responsibilities may include all or part of responsibilities defined below depending on individual experience and abilities and may change to best support on‑going business needs.
- In conjunction with internal partners, plan and execute expedient and efficient processing of shipping requests and customer demands for research compounds, investigational, clinical, and commercial drug product.
- Develop standardized practices and protocols, and related requirements for 3PL partners, carriers, and Contract Manufacturing sites.
- Coordinate the efficient and on-time movement of temperature controlled freight to meet internal / external requirements through carrier management, transport route, and SOP development.
- In conjunction with the global logistics & compliance managers, responsible for carrier SOPs and 3PL work instructions to drive partner performance
- Manage customer demands in conjunction with Sales Operations and plan inventory levels to ensure 100% order fulfillment to customer.
- Plan and execute shipping and delivery between contract manufacturing operations, packaging sites, and customers. This will require knowledge of Good Distribution Practices (GDP) Cold Chain Logistics, and Global Trade Compliance regulations.
- Establish and maintain transparent transport planning schedule with proactive tracking of deliveries
- Manage transport temperature monitoring data collection and deviation management
- Recommend and implement corrective actions for problems encountered in Logistics Operations including inventory management, shipping, cold chain distribution, & payables
- Deviation management (root cause analysis and remediation focus)
- Working with Global Trade Compliance, maintain appropriate documentation to support accurate reporting to government customs agencies
- Act as Oracle Order-to-Cash (OTC) system super user for Supply Chain Logistics
- Continually innovate to better processes that deliver products from production to patients
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Operations Management, or similar required
- In lieu of above, other undergraduate degree plus continuing education in the logistics or extended supply chain management field required
- Minimum of 5 years direct international logistics experience including emerging markets
- Demonstrated implementation of innovative ideas that transform how work achieves results
- Creation of commercial invoices, Shipper’s Letter of Instruction, and other international shipping required including an understanding of letters of credit
- Broad experience in working with freight forwarders, air/inland carriers, warehouse personnel and internal departments including QA, Regulatory, Technical Operations, etc.
- Understanding of Bureau of Industry export regulations, OFAC/Treasury embargoes/license requirements, ECCN/HTS commodity classifications, dangerous goods
- Pharmaceutical/biotech distribution experience including current GDP/GMP/GCP regulations and Customs/FDA import procedures beneficial
- Cold Chain experience required.
- Training in ERP systems of principal importance, specifically Order-to-Cash
- Inventory Management and Reconciliation experience in an ERP environment
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Excel software required, proficiency with other MS Office tools including MS Project desired
- Lean, Continuous Improvement, and/or Six Sigma training preferable
- Must be flexible and be able to deal with changing priorities without losing sight of the overall business
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and an ability to discern the feelings behind the needs and wants of others while working within an environment of constant change
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.