Sr. Manager, EHS&SLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
About the Opportunity:
We are looking for an experienced emergency management professional to improve our existing emergency preparedness and response business processes. If you are passionate about emergency management and enjoy driving strategic cross-functional process improvements, then this role may be the opportunity for you.
The EHS&S Senior Manager is a senior-level role within the global EHS&S Department. This position is specialized in emergency management for biopharmaceutical operations including GMP manufacturing plants, laboratories, warehouses, and other associated facilities. The Senior Manager will drive emergency management strategy, process improvement, and tactical operations in alignment with the global EHS&S strategy and broader organization. The primary scope of the role is U.S. based, but does include varying levels of responsibility in other global regions.
- Acts as emergency management subject matter expert.
- Assumes key emergency management role(s) in our existing global EHS&S, emergency response, business continuity, and broader organization governance structure.
- Effectively manages incidents within a business unit (department) as part of a wider business continuity framework.
- Integrates emergency management risk reduction and opportunities into global EHS&S strategy, technical operations, and broader organization.
- Mitigates emergency management compliance risks, identifies potential future risks, and proposes innovative solutions for continuous improvement.
- Develops and maintains strong relationships with internal and external partners/stakeholders including regulatory agencies.
- Navigates easily between strategic and tactical emergency management needs in a variety of planned and unplanned situations.
- Ensures emergency management compliance and EHS management system conformance including applicable local, state, federal, international, ISO, and industry best practices.
- Develops and tracks meaningful emergency management metrics and targets that support global EHS&S and broader organizational strategic goals.
- Available to respond to onsite events at our California-based facilities.
- IOSH Competencies: We believe the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) organization (iosh.com) has identified the key competencies needed for EHS&S professionals and are interested in candidates that possess these competencies.
- Leadership: As a member of EHS&S Management, the EHS&S Manager is expected to act and behave in a highly professional manner at all times, and consistently exhibit actions/behavior commensurate with a position of leadership. The cross functional nature and interactions of this position makes this requirement exceptionally critical.
- Communication: Communicates effectively across all levels of the global organization – shop floor to CEO.
- Feedback: All senior level positions in the EHS&S department require the ability to effectively give and receive feedback.
- Other core competencies that will support your long term success: taking initiative, ability to strategically plan ahead, effectively navigate change, deal with ambiguity, organized, motivate others, and easily gain the trust and support of peers.
- No direct reports. Indirectly lead over 100 members of various emergency response teams.
- Works directly and indirectly with key internal partners including Facilities, Engineering, Global Security, Business Continuity, Human Resources, Corporate Communications, and Manufacturing.
- Works directly with external consultants, contractors, vendors, and regulatory personnel.
Must have: Minimum Requirements:
- Ten years prior experience with undergraduate degree in Engineering, Safety or relevant Life Sciences discipline (BS/BSE).
- Prior emergency management experience in an industrial or multi-site setting.
- Demonstrated ability to act as Incident Commander during an event.
- Demonstrated ability to design and execute emergency drills such as evacuations, earthquake response, and utility-related events.
Nice to have:
- Professional certification from organizations IAEM, CSTI, DRI or similar.
- Targeted training programs or professional certificates in an emergency management or EHS-related discipline.
- Prior experience in a biopharmaceutical setting.
- Advanced degree in applicable field and 12 or more years of emergency management experience.
- Prior experience with California regulatory agencies including local CUPAs/fire departments.
- Prior experience developing and/or implementing business continuity plans.
- Prior experience with ISO 14001 and 45001.
- Prior experience developing and delivering effective training programs to audiences of varied backgrounds.
- Prior experience working with EHS site/region, global, and corporate functions.
- Prior experience with incident management software.