Sr. Manager/Assoc. Director, Global EHS&SLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The role will act as the global lead for ensuring EHS&S program development, oversight and compliance across all global commercial operations offices. Position will ensure compliance of programs with all applicable local, state and federal safety regulations, including documentation, reporting, permits, training, and procedure development, and will take appropriate actions to minimize EHS&S related risk to employees and facilities.
- Think strategically and ensure deliverables are aligned with broader organization and create awareness of this direction with affected members/business functions.
- Ensure global commercial office site compliance with all applicable local, state and federal environmental and safety regulations, including documentation, reporting, permits, training, and procedure development.
- Conduct regular assessments of safety procedures, industrial safety practices, international codes, related equipment, training program effectiveness, and other EHS&S related items across global commercial offices and operations.
- Drive significant change and improvement through proactive process improvements and site support across global commercial offices and operations.
- Influence relevant site management, customers and stakeholders, as appropriate, to drive safety culture improvements across global commercial offices and operations.
- Lead regional-level site safety committees including ownership of Incident Management program across global commercial offices and operations.
- Review new or proposed changes to site facilities, equipment, materials or operations to determine all necessary EHS&S requirements are addressed in a thorough and rigorous manner.
- Conduct Risk Assessments using process hazard evaluation techniques such as What If, HAZOP, FMEA etc. to support EHS&S and client deliverables
- Conduct incident investigations and/or root cause analysis to support injury prevention program.
- Develop and report key performance indicators on EHS&S program implementation.
- Perform audits at company facilities. Recommends and ensures corrective action for hazardous situations in compliance with OSHA, DOT, EPA regulations, or equivalent international organizations for each global commercial office.
- Conducts or coordinates training for compliance for health and safety programs including hazard communications, IIPP, safe working practices, PPE and approves all PPE purchased to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Reviews new equipment, materials, and processes to assure employee safety.
- Recommends improvements in policies, procedures and equipment to prevent accidents and injuries.
- Provide leadership and direction to direct and indirect staff through the promotion of teamwork, empowerment, coaching and development; and manage team performance to ensure organizational objectives are met.
- Plans and coordinates industrial hygiene testing (air sampling, noise level testing, etc.) to ensure compliance with OSHA regulations or equivalent international organizations for each global commercial office.
- Appropriately consults and responds to onsite inspections and inquiries from federal, state and local agencies for each global commercial office.
- Evaluates workstations and conducts an Ergonomic program to continuously improve employee working conditions.
- Provides recommendation and backup of health and wellness programs including Workers Compensation, Medical, and Drug and Alcohol Testing.
- Provides regulatory compliance assistance for Environmental programs and permits.
- Collaborates/coordinates responses to governmental proposals affecting our global commercial operations and sites.
- Requires regular attendance to perform essential elements as contained herein between the assigned start and end times for work.
- Performs such individual assignments as management may direct.
- Establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, other internal departments of the Corporation and the community.
- Maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant science or engineering related field minimum requirement.
- Master’s Degree and/or Ph.D. in a relevant science or engineering field preferred.
- Environmental, Industrial Hygiene, safety, and/or auditing related credentials and/or professional certifications strongly preferred (CHMM, CIH, CSP, CPSA, CPEA, etc.).
- Required minimum EHS experience within an operating industrial setting is dependent upon previously attained education level:
- Minimum of 12 years prior EHS experience with undergraduate degree.
- Minimum of 10 years prior EHS experience with Master’s degree.
- Minimum of 8 years prior EHS experience with Ph.D.
Additional Preferred Experience:
- Global/international EHS&S consulting experience preferred
- Global/international EHS&S related auditing experience preferred
- Global/international EHS&S experience within an operating biopharmaceutical company highly preferred
- Prior experience with EHS-MIS software systems preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Frequent long durations in office and/or cubicle environment.
- Frequent visits to global commercial operations offices
- Occasional visits to manufacturing areas, laboratories, and utility areas.
- Occasional long durations of walking, sitting, standing and kneeling.
- Frequent listening, writing, and public speaking in small and large groups.
The AD/Sr. Mgr, EHS&S, Global Ops reports Sr. Director, Global EHS&S. The position will work directly and indirectly with other EHS&S teams supporting global, regional and site operations. The position will work directly and indirectly with HR, finance, IM, security and other corporate functions across the globe.
This position will eventually include supervisory responsibilities of regional level EHS&S staff, as needed, to support global growth of the company. Initial responsibilities will be 0 direct reports, but could grow to 3-4 direct reports within 5 years.
Future EHS&S Supervisory Responsibilities:
- Identifies group goals and objectives
- Identifies actions for strategic planning and implements actions
- Supports identification of resource needs
- Develops and manages junior staff
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.