Sr. Engineer, Facilities and UtilitiesLocation Novato, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Facilities and Utilities Engineer will be responsible for supporting projects to implement new equipment or modify existing utilties that support bioprocess manufacturing facilities. This role will be engineering lead for capital projects and will often have contract engineers report directly to support them. The role will be responsible for interfacing with project managers and engineering design firms to ensure requirements are met on schedule and budget. Responsibilities include creating/reviewing design specifications, preparing/reviewing bid packages, managing detailed design review, managing vendor interactions and factory testing, and implementing equipment for the project. These projects may be new process equipment and/or retrofit of existing equipment. The candidate will be responsible for ensuring all systems comply with the requirements.
The candidate must have a strong knowledge of biotechnology/pharmaceutical facilities and utilities. Candidate will also ensure implementation of good engineering practices on all design activities, review and approve design documents, and is responsible for ensuring correct process design to cGMPs and all other governing state and local authorities. Supports projects from design through construction, start-up, and commissioning/qualification.
This position will interact collaboratively with key customers, peers and other stakeholders to support achieving BioMarin tactical and strategic goals & objectives.
- Collaborate engineering activities with cross-functional, multi-departmental teams including: Plant Engineering, Facilities Maintenance, Quality Control, Quality Assurance, Capital Project Managers, and various Engineering groups.
- Responsible for developing Requests for Proposals for contract resources and support training contract resources on BioMarin procedures.
- Demonstrate leadership ability including the ability to lead, motivate, develop and directly/indirectly influence others effectively
- Employ good document practices (GDP) when drafting and reviewing documents
- Create and Develop Practice documents and Specifications to support continuous improvement initiatives
- Apply extensive practical expertise in their area(s) of knowledge
- Effectively manage internal and external relationships with key stakeholders and vendors
- Develop and maintain effective communication with peers, subordinates and senior management
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-directed with limited guidance and oversight from management
- Effectively apply independent judgment utilizing BioMarin policies, industry practices and BioMarin standards as guidance
- Demonstrate effective collaboration, partnering and teamwork skills when interacting with internal and external resources
- Actively participate in technical, tactical and strategic reviews/discussions
BS or MS in Engineering from an accredited university.
- Experience in a cGMP regulated manufacturing environment, with exhibited knowledge or proficiency in capital project engineering
- Organizational and management skills to coordinate multi-discipline project groups
- Ability to share information, present data, and defend approaches in front of audiences and inspectors.
- Ability to comprehend technical information related to equipment, processes, and regulatory expectations.
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Power Point.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 108,000 to $ 162,000 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.