Sr. Director, Novato Engineering and Facility ServicesLocation Novato, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Director of Novato Engineering and Facility Services (NEFS) is a key leadership position with responsibility for the Utilities, Facilities, Maintenance, Process Engineering, and Automation Engineering functions in support of clinical/commercial product delivery at the Novato Site.
This role reports to the VP of Site Operations and is a member of the Site Leadership Team accountable for department management including Performance, Talent, Recruitment, Capital programs, and budget.
A high level of initiative, energy, and motivation are key role requirements, as well as excellent leadership, technical understanding and management of complexity and effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as a member of the Site Leadership Team providing effective and responsive support to the site while ensuring performance in all aspects of the business objectives.
- Lead a high performing team that maintains and champions a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Recruit, direct, coach, and develop NEFS team and maintain team’s technical and interpersonal skills.
- Lead all NEFS Governance to monitor performance utilizing KPIs and improvement initiatives to maximize plant uptime in order to meet production plan commitments.
- Ensure highly reliable utility systems, process equipment and automation controls through robust risk assessment processes to maintain cGMP for facilities, equipment, utilities and controls.
- Lead asset life cycle management for the site to maintain/replace existing equipment and implement new technologies where applicable to ensure best-in-class manufacturing operations.
- Engineering representation at site functional lead teams such as site quality review teams.
- Champion the Site sustainability program with a focus on energy consumption and water conservation and waste management.
- Champion harmonization and alignment within global facility network.
- Champion and sustain an environment of continuous improvement (CI) through active implementation of CI projects (Capex or Opex), GEPs and reliability practices, Right First Time principles, and Lean manufacturing methods.
- Effectively manage site capital projects portfolio.
- Lead change initiatives as requested and required by Site Leadership in support of the Site Strategic Objectives.
- Responsible for developing department long range plans, annual budgets, and monitoring/controlling budget performance.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality and quantity of work produced, staffing requirements, and personnel management.
The work product from the Senior Director will directly support product delivery and other programs executed in the network, will be a major driver for asset lifecycle management (LCM) strategies, and will highly impact site operations and network strategies.
This role has both strategic and tactical planning responsibilities for the Novato Site with a focus on uptime and LCM for a time horizon of 5-10 years.
BA/BS/MS in engineering, life sciences or related field
Advanced degree desirable, but not required
Required Experience and Abilities:
- Preferred 15 years of experience with the design, installation, startup, and servicing of process equipment, utility systems in the biotech industry.
- At least 10 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Exceptional communication skills required, as this position will require interaction at all levels of the organization. Project management skills are key.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required.
- Experience successfully leading transformational change.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
Manufacturing, Material Operations, Regulatory, Quality, Supply Chain Supply and Demand Planning, Finance, Compliance, TOPS Program Management Group, IT, BPI/BPE, Human Resources, Network Strategy Teams, MSAT, Business Operations
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.