Sr. Director Global ProcurementLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Senior Director of Global (Technical Operations) Procurement is a member of the Global Supply Chain Leadership team with accountability for direct category leadership and those indirect categories related to product contacting or impacting processes, equipment or facilities. A primary focus includes the development of pipeline products, strategic sourcing in support of Technical Operations globally, and also support of operational purchasing in our internal production facilities located in the United States and Ireland. The direct procurement includes specialty chemicals, single use technologies, resins, filters, primary and secondary packaging components and consumables. The indirect categories include lab services, instruments, Capital Equipment, engineering services and GMP support, such as, but not limited to, calibration and janitorial for GMP commissioned spaces.
The Senior Director of Global (Technical Operations) Procurement:
- Collaborates closely with Global Source to Pay (including Strategic Sourcing), Worldwide Research and Development and other groups outside of TOPs where appropriate to ensure that we leverage our global spend where feasible and appropriate, and also to address common needs in a coordinated fashion;
- Accountable for direct materials governance, including category management teams, the Substance Suitability Specification Sourcing team and the Supplier Review meetings;
- Co-Chairs the TOPs Procurement Council along with the Directors of Material Operations in our production facilities;
- Leads our Global Business Continuity Program including our program to secure our critical assets worldwide.
The Senior Director of Global (Technical Operations) Procurement supports the Plan, Make, Assess, Release and Deliver process owners and managers globally for clinical and commercial, Biologic, Small Molecule, Oligonucleotide and Gene Therapy products by collaborating with supplier quality, process development, corporate compliance, finance and manufacturing sciences to ensure that we source substances using specifications that are aligned with our processes as developed and validated from sources with whom we have forged strategic alliances where feasible and appropriate. This role is accountable for mentoring and coaching Category and Sourcing leaders globally and for building partnerships with our strategic suppliers, off site storage vendors and audit partners.
By engaging with peer organizations and specialty firms worldwide, the Senior Director will identify, develop and deploy mechanisms for monitoring and securing our raw material supply chain for risks and threats of disruption. The Senior Director will play a leadership role in investigating and resolving multi-lot investigations that involve materials or supplier performance. Ongoing participation and membership in industry consortia (including BPOG, MIT BioMain, and DCAT) and effective benchmarking with peer BioPharma companies and business technology professionals from other industries, and thought leaders will be an important success factor in this role.
By effectively leading the global team to implement dual sourcing, strategic inventory investments and other preventive measures, the Global Head of (Technical Operations) Procurement will help secure quality product for patients.
Key interfaces include:
- Global Quality Systems, Supplier Quality and Compliance;
- Global Source to Pay (including Strategic Sourcing)
- Global Quality Business Operations;
- Material Operations Directors in the two internal plants;
- Functional Leaders across BioMarin Technical Operations;
- BioMarin Finance – treasury, cost accounting, and Financial Planning & Analysis
- BioMarin legal;
- Information Management;
- Global Continuous Improvement/ Continuous Improvement Council;
- BioMarin Security and the Corporate Responsibility Committee;
This crucial role is a member of the BioMarin Global Supply Chain community and participates in network initiatives and efforts, including improving governance, and collaborating with other BioMarin procurement / sourcing professionals.
- Governance / Portfolio Management: Design, deploy and facilitate leadership meetings – including semi-annual strategy sessions that incorporate key internal stakeholders and strategic partner firms Establish links to other governance.
- Business Analysis and Project Execution: Adopt and apply recognized best practices for developing credible project proposals and use cases based on quantitative and verifiable problem statements, and cost-benefit analyses that are ratified by finance. Work with users and business process managers to define and document user requirements that can be translated into specifications User Acceptance Test scripts, and validation protocols (where applicable). Collaborate with project teams to ensure full user adoption, the training and deployment of super users and the provision of necessary and appropriate hyper-care resources and support.
- Project Controls: Work with finance and legal to track spending and contracts related to Global Direct Materials Procurement and Technical Operations indirect procurement. Use insights and analysis to prioritize opportunities to gain global leverage, avoid unnecessary costs and realize savings.
- Build and improve interfaces with strategic partners – Facilities, Process and Capital Engineering; Information Management; the Business Process Owners for Plan, Make, Assess, Release and Deliver. The Process Owners for Concept-to-Molecule, Maintain to Improve, Procure-to-Pay, and Order-to-Cash are also key strategic partners.
- Technology Management: Work with Business Process Owners, Business Process Managers, Super Users, Data Stewards, and Functional Leaders to establish and maintain a specific and actionable understanding of life cycle stage, system vulnerabilities, required upgrades and patches, opportunities for advantageous integration and also for architectural modifications that could potentially improve performance, security, usability or inspection readiness. Examples include development and deployment of a single approved supplier list that can be used to comply with the purchasing controls requirement of the Combination Product Rule, prioritize risk-based audits and ensure that items are only sourced from approved suppliers.
- Strategic planning: Participate in strategic planning and analysis related to pipeline products, future Technical Operations network configuration, system architecture, security and functionality. This role is accountable for developing and maintaining the long range plan for internal and external warehouse space.
- Create and maintain a diverse and inclusive workplace that is safe and healthful for all employees. Build focus and engagement by fostering opportunities for ownership, impact and continual professional development.
The work product from the Senior Director of Global (Technical Operations) Procurement will directly support product revenue and other programs executed in the network, will be a major driver for Manufacturing expenses, and will highly impact operational and transportation costs of external operations.
The Director of Business Technology is a senior leader, co-chair of the ERP Process Council, member of the Global Continuous Improvement Community and Global Supply Chain Leadership Team.
- Bachelors in Business, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering required
- Masters in Business Administration desirable but not required
- Six Sigma Black Belt, Lean Sensei, APICS certification and/or supply chain education preferred
- Other continuing education initiatives or relevant industry or information management (Oracle) certifications
- Minimum 15 years of information technology, process engineering, operational excellence, supply chain, finance, portfolio management or other relevant experience.
- At least 10 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Experience with kaizen / work out events, human error prevention / human factors engineering, SCRUM development methodology, project management, knowledge management / design history file, ERP (Oracle) systems, and new product launches desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required
- Mandatory: Experience successfully leading transformational change, change agent and sponsor training skills
- Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with diverse audiences including senior management, middle management and line staff
- Creative problem solving skills
- Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.