Senior Buyer/PlannerLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This position is responsible for the procurement and planning of raw materials used in commercial and clinical manufacturing in Novato, CA. Other areas of focus include supplier management, sourcing, supply risk management, spend analytics, MRP utilization and troubleshooting.
- Materials Planning/Forecasting
- Determine order requirements thru use of ERP system and other electronic reporting tools (spreadsheet MRP, consumption, planned vs actual)
- Assign item master purchasing and planning attributes for buy items
- Purchase Order Management
- Manage the entire purchase order process including appropriate documentation, data entry, submission, order expediting, and reconciliation of related issues
- Request for Proposal
- Develop, execute, and review RFI/RFP/RFQs
- Identify and secure BioMarin utilization/spend information from internal and external sources for use in the bid process
- Facilitate/assist the development of requirements and scope of work documents, and establishes decision-making criteria based on user needs
- Provide professional summaries and recommendations
- Conduct opportunity/cost analysis and comparative bid analysis
- Skillful at using a variety of tools and source documents to strategize and develop meaningful information for management and internal customers
- Successfully negotiate single transactions and longer term commitments
- Negotiate terms/pricings as appropriate for the product category and supplier
- Identify opportunities for innovation in processes or goods/services
- Periodic participation in various cross functional team meetings (new product core teams
- Supplier Management
- Monitor/manage individual supplier performance and report outcome to suppliers and BioMarin employees as appropriate
- Issue requests for root cause investigation/corrective/preventive action for non- conforming materials
- Conduct periodic supplier business reviews
- Participate in supplier quality audits as appropriate
- Supply / Quality Agreements
- Identify potential suppliers for an established agreement
- Lead efforts with initial phase contract negotiations of supply/business terms
- Monitor contract workflow process
- Supply Risk Management
- Identify and establish alternate/secondary sources
- Identify /implement vendor managed inventory programs as appropriate
- Identify impact of supplier raw material change notifications
This position is responsible for managing daily planning and procurement of materials to support BioMarin commercial and clinical manufacturing operations with minimum level of supervision. The position will exercise independent judgment and initiative. It is a non-revenue generating position, but contributes significantly to the reduction of both risk and the total cost of goods.
Bachelor’s Degree required or work experience that support Senior Planner job requirements
APICS or professional procurement certification a plus
Minimum of 5 years of purchasing experience or ability to demonstrate Senior Buyer skill sets
Experience in a Biotech/Pharmaceutical or regulated manufacturing environment preferred
Personal Computer, Monitor, Printer, Keyboard, Mouse, Scanner, desk phone.
Supply Chain Planning and Logistics
No supervisory responsibility
- Ability to perform all strategic duties consistently
- Demonstrate good judgment and initiative
- Lead/manage larger projects or cross function teams
- Seek solutions to issues and develop recommendations to management
- Able to create and present well formatted presentations to large audiences and senior/executives
- Implement risk mitigation strategies on own initiative
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.