Scientist, Assay DevelopmentLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Sciences Department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical is currently recruiting an exceptional individual at Scientist level that will plan and execute bioanalytical assays as part of a Gene Therapy team. The selected candidate will be a highly motivated individual with experience in mammalian cell culture, qPCR and/or RT-qPCR, gene expression assays, nucleic acid, ELISA, and protein extraction. The Scientist will design and execute technically complex experiments to support the project, with input and guidance from their supervisor. They will provide quantitative data analysis, interpretation of results, and contribute to technical reports. Candidates will be expected to be independent, but all members are expected to interact with each other, sharing ideas, and seeking feedback from their supervisor and teammates.
- Develop methods to analyze viral DNA and/or RNA such as vector genome titers, ddPCR, qPCR, Capsid ELISA, DNA/RNA sequencing, DNA/RNA quantitation, capsid structural integrity, transgene expression/potency assays, transduction etc.
- Plan and execute experimental studies to support sample testing and development of analytical assays for biologics in an efficient manner to meet project goals and timelines.
- Conduct and oversee experiments to support viral vector characterization, comparability studies and stability studies in a timely fashion.
- Ensure continuous and effective communication of scientific results, experimental progress, and timelines.
- Manage various laboratory equipment for proper and timely maintenance including: coordinating internal/external services visits, adding equipment to monitoring systems, notifying users of instrument failures/service interruptions, and responding to excursion notifications.
- Catalogue data/reports electronically in an accessible manner for inspections.
- Routinely share experimental data with project teams and write protocols, reports and contribute to regulatory documents.
- Train colleagues and associates when needed.
- PhD in biochemistry, biology, or related field.
- Excellent laboratory technique, particularly in cell and molecular biology applications.
- Experience with qPCR and/or RT-qPCR; vector copy number or gene expression assay experience preferred.
- Experience with ELISA and nucleic acid and protein extraction.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate experimental results.
- Research background in gene therapy, or cell therapy is a plus.
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in managing and working with external vendors for bioanalytical assay development, qualification, or execution is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills within cross-functional environment.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.