Scientist 1/ 2Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Cell Culture Process Development Department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a scientist within fermentation process development group. The Scientist will be part of team responsible for the development of scalable /economical protein fermentation and recovery processes and to successfully oversee the transfer of these processes to internal manufacturing facilities. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with the optimization of protein production in microbial expression systems to deliver optimum yield for biopharmaceutical applications. This position offers the opportunity to work in a multidisciplinary team in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Development of fermentation and recovery processes for recombinant proteins or enzymes production that expressed in microbial hosts.
- Development of scale down models to predict process performance at manufacturing scale.
- Identification and evaluation of new technologies for fermentation and recovery processes.
- Generate documentation for experimental reports to support technology transfer and regulatory filings.
- Strong ability to think critically; troubleshooting and problem-solving skills,
- Being self-motivated, proactive, and able to design, plan, and perform experiments independently.
- Implementation and maintenance of process development laboratory equipment: e.g. fermenters, analyzers, centrifuge, and homogenizer.
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description.
- Closely interact with other team members; development of internal and external collaborations.
Bachelor degree plus > 10 years of relevant industrial experiences, Master degree plus at > 8 year of relevant industrial experiences, or Ph.D. plus 0 - 5 years industry experience in Chemical, Bioengineering, Biochemcial, Biology, Microbiology or other related scientific discipline. Level will be determined based on experience.
- Strong knowledge of microbial systems, physiology and cellular metabolism, coupled with practical knowledge of process engineering and plant operations.
- Strong technical background and direct hands-on experience with fermentation and recovery processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing reports and SOPs.
- Able to work effectively in cross functional teams to solve manufacturing problems or implement improved procedures.
- Experience in operating any small-scale fermenters or bench scale fermenters.
- Experimental design and data analysis capabilities including Design of Experiments (DOE).
- Experience in developing a scale down models to predict process performance at manufacturing scale.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.