Research AssociateLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. The Analytical Sciences department, a part of Process Sciences within TechOps, supports all assay needs in Tech Ops. Our scientists and associates are experts in analytics of gene therapy agents, small molecules, peptides, complex glycosylated enzymes and PEGylated proteins. We develop and qualify assays to follow the quality attributes of our products, support IND and BLA applications,assess the capability of our processes by analyzing in-process samples all the way from bioreactors through purification steps to the drug substance and developrelease assays for transfer to Quality. We are also instrumental in time-critical analysis support to Manufacturing as needed. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Sciences department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a skilled Analytical Biochemist and/orBiologist at the Research Associate level to join a team focused on supporting gene therapy & enzyme replacement therapy. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, independent and critical thinker who has experience to work in a multi-disciplinary and fast-paced environment, and solid communication skills. The candidate will developand execute a wide variety of analytical methods and assays for the characterization of therapeutic candidates in developmentwith a particular focus on critical program needs including CMC development for INDs and BLAs. An ideal candidate will have experience in cell-based assays.
- Assist in planning and execution of relevant experiments to support development and qualification of analytical assays for gene therapy agents and biologics to meet project goals and timelines
- Provide concise and quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of experimental results.
- Provide effective oral presentations at departmental meetings
- Report progress to the manager on a weekly basis on each program
- Write up methods, qualification reports, results & share with collaborators and supervisor; present data proactively and regularly in group meetings.
- Catalogue data/reports electronically in an accessible manner for inspections
- Familiar withgene therapy agents, protein chemistry/function and bioassays
- Experienced in cell culture techniques and protein expression/activity readout methods
- Excellent communication, collaboration and writing skills
- Proven data analysis, interpretation and scientific communication skills
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Experienced in method development, qualification, and transfer
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical development is a plus
Bachelors degree in biological sciences and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or 1 year experience with Masters. Title will be commensurate with experience
Operation of standard laboratory equipment for biochemistry and forcellular assays
Will report to the Scientist IIin Analytical Chemistry.
No immediate supervisory role.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.