Research AssociateLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The selected candidate will be a highly motivated individual, with strong cell culture skills and familiar with large scale cell culture operations. The Manufacturing Sciences and Technology (MSAT) group is looking for a candidate that is experienced with bioprocess engineering and trained in cell culture and aseptic techniques. Applicants who have experience with troubleshooting bioprocesses and are familiar with chemical engineering principles (e.g. mass balances, reactor design, mass/heat transfer, etc.) are preferred. Majority of the work will be lab based involving cell culture, lab-scale bioreactor operations and execution of analytical methods. The individual will develop experimental studies to troubleshoot and better understand BioMarin’s commercial gene therapy processes. This individual must have strong communication skills, as they will be involved in projects that involve presenting data to collaborators and will assist in writing memos, protocols and reports.
- Assist in the design and execution of studies to support of process investigations, process improvements, and other manufacturing projects.
- Prepare and operate bench scale bioreactors, automated cell culture platforms (Ambr15 and Ambr250) and liquid handling platforms (Tecan)
- Facilitate investigations to help understand and resolve complex manufacturing issues, and assess their potential impact to product quality.
- Evaluate new methods and technologies, and implement process improvements.
- Execute analytical assays to support process investigations or process improvements
- Assist in writing memorandums, protocols and reports.
- Experienced with large scale cell culture platforms, including fed-batch, perfusion, bacterial fermentation and/or viral vector production.
- Troubleshooting of analytical methods and cell culture processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of statistics, factorial design of experiments and statistical process control.
- Demonstrated record of strong communication skills.
- 0-2 years of industry experience
B.S. in Chemical/Biochemical/Biomedical Engineering or science related disciplines.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.