Research AssociateLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Cell Culture Process Development Department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a Research Associate within fermentation process development group. The position will be part of team responsible for the development of scalable /economical protein fermentation and recovery processes and support transfer of those processes to internal or external manufacturing facilities. The ideal candidate will have hands-on experience with microbial culture or mammalian cell culture in either GMP or non-GMP environment.
- Participating in the development of fermentation and recovery processes for recombinant proteins or enzymes production that expressed in microbial hosts.
- Be a hands-on presence in the laboratory
- Able to work off-hours (or different shift) when necessary depending on experimental design
- Keep accurate and detailed laboratory records
- Handle multiple tasks with superb organizational skills.
- Ability to set up, maintain and provide training of equipment and instrumentation to support project.
- Prepare and write technical reports, summarizing the results of studies
- Being self-motivated, proactive, and able to design, plan, and perform experiments independently
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description
- Closely interact with other team members; development of internal and external collaborations
Bachelors degree or equivalent in scientific discipline
- Experience with microbial and mammalian cell culture
- Hands on experience in the biotechnology industry or academic setting with a broad range of techniques focuses on upstream process development
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills, documentation, organization, good record keeping, writing reports and SOPs.
- Able to work effectively in cross functional teams to solve manufacturing problems or implement improved procedures.
- Experience with stainless steel fermenter, downstream processing unit operations such as continuous centrifugation, and homogenization
- cGMP experience a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.