BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Analytical Chemistry department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking a skilled Analytical Biochemist, Biologist, and/or Cellular Potency assay expert at the Research Associate level to join a team focused on supporting gene therapy & enzyme replacement therapy. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, independent and critical thinker who has proven ability to work in a multi-disciplinary and fast-paced environment, and solid communication skills.
The candidate will be responsible for maintaining laboratory equipment, managing sample testing, coordinating sample transfer to and from other groups, compiling sample testing results, and executing a wide variety of analytical methods and assays. The selected candidate should possess excellent organizational, analytical and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
An ideal candidate will have experience in standard chromatographic and activity measurements and an interest in learning about biotechnology product development. A good scientific understanding of protein biophysical chemistry and activity assays is essential.
- Execution of relevant experiments to support sample testing and development of analytical assays for biologics in development
- Aliquot, distribute and track samples for testing by various groups (including analytical chemistry and QC).
- Methods typically include biochemical (size, charge, reverse-phase, etc), as well as binding, activity, and internalization assays.
- Plan and execute experimental studies in an efficient manner to meet project goals and timelines
- Provide concise and quantitative analysis of data and interpretation of experimental results.
- Provide effective oral presentations at departmental and interdepartmental meetings
- Manage various laboratory equipment for proper and timely maintenance including: coordinating internal/external services visits, adding equipment to monitoring systems, notifying users of instrument failures/service interruptions, and responding to excursion notifications
- Ensure laboratory equipment have current calibration and Preventative maintenance documentations
- Report progress to the manager on a regular basis on each program
- Write up methods, qualification reports, results & share with collaborators and supervisor; present data proactively and regularly in group meetings; communicate plans and results to collaborators and manager iteratively
- Catalogue data/reports electronically in an accessible manner for inspections.
- Good understanding of protein chemistry, structure, and function
- Proven technical skills in running of biochemical, and/or bioassay methods for characterization of proteins, including experience performing cell-based methods.
- Collaborative skills to work in a cross-functional environment
- Excellent communication, collaboration and writing skills
- Proven data analysis, interpretation and scientific communication skills
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment
- Experience working in a cross-functional environment
- Experienced in method development, qualification, and transfer
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical development is a plus
Bachelors degree in biological sciences and at least 2 years of relevant experience, or minimal experience with Masters.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.