Research Associate I/Research Associate II (TEMPORARY)Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Research & Development group is responsible for everything from research and discovery to post-market clinical development. Research & Development involves all bench and clinical research and the associated groups that support those endeavors. Our teams work on developing first-in-class and best-in-class therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with rare diseases. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Cell Culture Process Development department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking to fill a position for a Research Associate in upstream research and development. The successful candidate will work both independently and as part of a team focusing on optimizing production of recombinant viral vectors for the company’s gene therapy programs.
- Buffer and media preparation
- Cell line maintenance, expansion, transfection
- Production, harvest, and purification of viral material
- Perform associated analytical assays
- Diligently document the results
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description
- Handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Closely interact with other team members; develop internal and external collaborations
- Present results and conclusions in group and department meetings; write reports
- Good working knowledge of chemistry and biochemistry principles
- Aseptic culturing technique
- Hands-on experience in suspension or adherent cells culturing
- Critical thinking, data analysis and interpretation skills
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience with mammalian cell cultures, metabolite measurement, cell count and viability measurements
- Working knowledge of rAAV production process, transfection
- Experience with any of the following analytical techniques: flow cytometry, ddPCR/qPCR, Western Blotting, ELISA, Bio-Layer Interferometry (Octet), total protein assay, cell based assays.
- Knowledge of Ambr bioreactor operation is a plus
- Knowledge of JMP software and Design of Experiments principles is a plus
Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or in a related field with 2+ years of experience in a cell culture laboratory.
Preferred: Bachelor’s degree with 4+ years or Master’s degree with 2+ years of experience in industrial research and development.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.