Research Associate 2Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
Primary responsibility is support for the Assay Services subgroup within Analytical Sciences. Half of this position involves performance and proficiency of a variety of analytical assays with adherence to strict timelines. Assays may include PCR, cell-based bioassays, chromatography and electrophoresis, done independently or under minimal supervision. Data generated may be used for lot release and stability evaluation of clinical batches of drug substance and drug product or also used in decisions involving process development/formulation projects. Ability to troubleshoot assay methods and to suggest remedies for problems or improvements to the methods also required.
The other half of this position will be assisting Assay Services manager with data review and verification of results produced by other analysts. The position requires proficiency in data analysis and interpretation, ability to understand and resolve moderately complex issues, and independently summarize data clearly and concisely. This person will also record and interpret data generated and properly record into the company Electronic Notebook and/or Labware LIMS.
Assay Services works closely with a variety of different groups including QC, Manufacturing, Cell Culture PD, Purification PD and Formulation so candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. The candidate must be comfortable engaging in scientific discussion and demonstrates teamwork with peers and client groups.
- Experience in performing analytical methods including plate-based bioassays, cell-based bioassays, HPLC, and PCR methods.
- Experience and proficiency in data interpretation and verification, especially if experience was in a GxP setting.
- Experience working in a cross-functional environment.
- Excellent scientific communication and writing skills.
- Proven flexibility and execution skills to deliver in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Experience working in a GxP environment.
- Knowledge of biopharmaceutical development.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture is a plus
Primarily a laboratory position; contact with chemicals is part of the job. The employee will be trained to use common lab equipment and minimize exposure to hazards. Desktop or laptop computer work is also a major component of the job.
- Bachelors degree in a biological or physical science with typical academic laboratory classes and at least 4 years relevant experience (industry experience preferred).
- Or Masters degree in a biological or physical science with 2 years relevant experience (industry experience preferred).
Due to the uncertainty surrounding Covid-19, interviews may be conducted remotely over Skype or Zoom.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.