Research Associate 1Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin leads the biotechnology industry in delivering therapies for chronic and degenerative genetic conditions that reduce patients' quality of life and shorten life spans. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind and make a big difference in improving patients' lives.
This position will utilize scientific and engineering principles to develop cell culture processes for AAV gene therapy vector production. The individual will be focusing on small-scale cell culture activities in the laboratory, characterizing, troubleshooting, and developing processes in shake flasks and bench-top bioreactors as well as larger scale activities that involve process transfer to the manufacturing site. The candidate must have experience in bioprocessing, and more specifically, with stirred-tank bioreactor processes and initial harvest recovery and purification, ideally involving AAV production. This individual must be competent with analysis and interpretation of data and will ideally have experience with plate-based and PCR assays. The candidate will present data and will assist in writing memos, protocols, and reports by organizing data and observations. This individual will also work with vendors to install, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment.
- Design and execute cell culture process development experiments, perform analytical testing,maintain, analyze data and present results.
- Perform initial recovery & purification of harvest material, including filtration and chromatography.
- Solve moderately complex issues independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Handle multiple tasks with good organizational skills
- Set-up and maintenance of multiple pieces of process development laboratory equipment: e.g. bioreactors, analyzers, and chromatography
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or a related scientific field +4 yearsbiopharmaceutical experience or MS in Biology or a related scientific field +2 years biopharmaceutical experience
- Willingness and flexibility to adapt to the changing priorities
- Attention to details, hardworking, and excellent teamplayer
- Experience with cell culture processing platforms. Must be well-experienced with shake flasks and stirred-tank bioreactors.
- Viral vector production/processing experience (AAV or otherwise)
- PCR and plate-based assay experience
- Some molecular biology skills, especially plasmid production and purification.
- Downstream processing: harvest filtration and chromatography
- cGMP experience a plus
Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Biology or a related scientific field
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The employee may frequently be required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.