Research Associate 1 / 2Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Cell Culture Process Development department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking to fill a permanent position for an experienced Research Associate in upstream research and development. The successful candidate will work both independently and as part of a team focusing on optimizing production of recombinant viral vectors for the company’s gene therapy program.
- Cell line maintenance, expansion, infection
- Production, harvest, and purification of the viral material
- Perform associated analytical assays
- Diligently document the results in electronic lab book and technical report
- Maintenance of laboratory equipment
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description
- Handle multiple tasks efficiently
- Closely interact with other team members; develop internal and external collaborations
- Present results and conclusions in group and department meetings
- Broad technical proficiency in cell culture and upstream process development preferably in an industrial laboratory
- Critical thinking, data analysis and interpretation skills
- Good interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Attention to details, hardworking, and excellent team player
- Insect orHEK293 cell culture
- AAV viral vector production
- Downstream processing; experience with protein chromatography
- Analytical assays: qPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, electrophoresis, Western blot, cell-based assays
- Knowledge of stirred-tank bioreactor operation is a plus
Minimum: Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Biology or a related scientific field.
Preferred: Bachelor’s with 2+ years biopharmaceutical experienceor Master’s Degree
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.