Lab Systems Engineer (TEMPORARY)Location Novato, California Apply
By providing a foundation for all operations
The BioMarin Information Management (IM) Manufacturing & Laboratory Technologies (MLT) department seeks a highly talented and motivated Systems Engineer to support our multi-site manufacturing and laboratory system platforms for the World Wide Research & Development and the Technical Operations organizations. This individual contributor will have the opportunity to partner closely with both scientists, laboratory analysts and Information Technology (IT) professionals within our manufacturing, quality, research/development and information management departments. He/she will play a key role in evaluating, designing, deploying and maintaining hardware and application systems. This role assists with implementing and maintaining computer systems with a client/server architecture and provides experience in scientific system support in a validated GxP environments (both the Manufacturing and Laboratory areas).
BioMarin is a high-performing, team based organization, where colleagues are flexible, multi-skilled and empowered to make decisions. Applicants must bring a high level of initiative, energy and motivation to the role and have excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Develop and implement technical strategies for various validated/qualified manufacturing and laboratory computer systems with an emphasis on global enterprise systems.
- Ability to design, document and communicate complex laboratory workflows and requirements.
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with effective communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- Research, test and recommend specific system hardware and software options to meet platform needs.
- Leads requirement gathering, planning and execution of hardware/software solution implementation.
- Authors and reviews system documentation and standard operating procedures for installation, monitoring, upgrades, backup/recovery and overall operations in a validated environment.
- Support application/system deployment projects emphasizing the software development lifecycle (SDLC).
- Determine technical standards and specifications and lead the design, build and support of IT systems for our small and medium-sized client base.
- Provide guidance and consultation in technical matters such as network integration, hardware selection and system configuration.
- Troubleshoot IT issues and provide excellent customer service to our clients.
- Develops preventative maintenance protocols and procedures for laboratory hardware and or solutions.
- Develops validation procedures for implemented solutions.
- Energetic/self-motivated, able to work independently and in team with strong organizational skills.
- Collaborates with multidisciplinary teams and provides guidance and expertise.
- Provide around the clock tier 2/3 support for lab systems with periodic off-hours monthly maintenance.
- This role is located in Novato, CA, United States and will require up to 10% travel.
- Desire minimum of 5-years’ experience in current good manufacturing practice (cGMP) biopharmaceutical production setting (process development and/or manufacturing technical support).
- Experience with supporting systems in a GxP/Validated environment.
- Knowledge of Windows desktop, Windows server, Citrix and/or Linux server environments.
- Able to build and execute project plans, and work closely with customers and IT to manage expectations.
- A strong communicator who can speak effectively to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Able to prioritize and deliver results with a high emphasis on quality, technical rigor and detail.
- Able to integrate feedback in a professional manner and thrives in multidisciplinary teams with members with highly diverse backgrounds.
Nice to have
- Experience in one or more of the following: shell scripting, PLSQL.
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems internals and administration (e.g., filesystems, inodes, system calls) or networking (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and hardware, SDN).
- Understanding of relational databases including design of data models and facility with SQL.
- Experience in supporting and maintaining business intelligence systems (e.g., Spotfire).
- Understanding of Source Code Control Administration (e.g., GitLab, Team Foundation Server).
- Have a general knowledge of the underlying scientific principles applied to the development and manufacture of biopharmaceuticals.
- Experience with integration of laboratory equipment to laboratory information management systems.
- Experience in supporting and maintaining scientific systems, example systems include:
- Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) [LabWare, Watson]
- Chromatography Data Software [Waters Empower]
- Protein Purification System Control Software [GE Healthcare Life Sciences UNICORN]
- Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN) Software [IDBS]
Minimum Bachelor’s or greater in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field involving systems engineering or equivalent practical experience.We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.