Intern, Technical DevelopmentLocation Novato, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic diseases. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The Technical Development team is involved in the development and characterization of cell-based and immunochemistry assays including cell line screening, drug product potency and activity, and identification and quantification of impurities. We focus on assay analytics, establishment, and optimization, with the goal to support the production of safe and effective therapies that beneficially impact patients’ lives.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will provide students with first-hand experience working with experts to gain invaluable insights into the biotech/pharmaceutical industry. The 2023 internship will focus on the characterization of targeted cell lines used for gene therapy applications. Interns will have the opportunity for exposure to numerous techniques including aseptic technique, cell passaging, light microscopy, PCR, RNA extraction, qualification, and quantification, RNA-Sequencing, data analysis, and figure generation.
- Familiarity with basic lab techniques (pipetting, making solutions, working safely and collaboratively in a wet-lab area)
- Computer competency (Zoom, Microsoft word, Excel, and Outlook are a minimum requirement, a coding language is preferred, but not required)
- Attention to detail
- Excellent and accurate electronic record keeping
- Communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to format and manipulate large data sets for analysis and figure generation
- Ability and drive to learn coding in bash and R
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced research environment
- Familiarity with/willingness to learn bash and R
- Interest/experience in transcriptomics and RNA-based techniques
- Experience with qPCR, PCR, ddPCR, and/or sequencing and data analysis
- Understanding of AAV capsid-based gene therapy
- Experience with mammalian cells
- Recently awarded or currently pursuing BS/MS degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Bioinformatics, or a related field
- Hands-on experience with basic laboratory procedures. Applicants familiar with data handling, PCR, or RNA-related experience will be preferred
- Computer literacy is required
- Prior experience in the biotech/pharma industry is not required but is a plus
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented technically
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week with time split between wet-lab and computer at the discretion of the mentor
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
In the U.S., the hiring range for this position is $ 21.00 to $ 30.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.