Intern, Process Sciences, Adeno Associated VirusLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
This internship will be a hybrid of working onsite and remotely. This role would require the student to onsite at the Novato/San Rafael campus 2-3 days per week.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
The selected candidate will work in the Analytical Sciences department to assist in the advancement of BioMarin’s therapeutics for clinical evaluation and potential commercialization. The selected candidate should possess excellent analytical, organizational and communication skills and be a self-starter willing to work efficiently and collaboratively in a dynamic environment.
The intern will contribute to gaining scientific insight into production and trafficking of AAV particles in insect cells. He/she will be developing and testing a fluorescence microscopy approach for viewing AAV particles in insect cells and in HepG2 cells to better understand our AAV particle development process.
- Strong mammalian cell culture experience
- Confocal microscopy and image processing
- PCR and ddPCR
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency performing cloning experiments.
- Experience with viral and cell-based assays.
- B.S. or M.S. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work full-time, 40 hours a week.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without VISA sponsorship.
- Able to work remotely within United States
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Company owned laptop provided for the duration of the internship program.
- Gain hands-on experience in the daily operation of a commercial biotech company.
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s).
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
At BioMarin, we are passionate about making a big impact on rare patient populations, and this takes the widest possible range of ideas. To find solutions for the patients we serve, our workforce must represent diversity in all its forms.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.