Intern, Manufacturing Sciences and TechnologyLocation Novato, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
Who We Are
For more than two decades, going our own way has led to countless breakthroughs, bettering the lives of those suffering from rare genetic disease. In 1997 we were founded to make a big difference in small patient populations. Now we seek to make an even greater impact by applying the same science-driven, patient-forward approach that propelled our last 25 years of drug development to larger genetic disorders, as well as genetic subsets of more common conditions. Through our unparalleled expertise in genetics and molecular biology, we will continue to develop targeted therapies that address the root cause of the conditions we seek to treat. Applying our knowledge to make a transformative impact is not just a calling, but an obligation to those who will benefit most. The end goal has always been better lives and now we can reach more.
And the more people we reach, the more our impact can grow. We transform lives through genetic discovery.
Our desire to make a positive impact on our patients extends to our employees and BioMarin is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every person feels seen, valued, and heard – so employees can thrive in all areas of their lives, in and outside of work. We seek to provide an open, flexible, and friendly work environment to empower people and to provide them with the ability to develop their long-term careers. Ultimately, we want to be an organization where people enjoy coming to work and take pride in our efforts to help patients.
This internship will be a hybrid of working onsite and remotely. This role would require the student to onsite at the Novato, CA campus 2-3 days per week.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
Manufacturing Sciences & Technology (MSAT) Frontline staff are technical and process stewards of commercial cGMP Manufacturing across multiple production platforms. MSAT Frontline staff are accountable for investigations and resolution of process-related deviations investigations. The team manages performance monitoring and process knowledge at the Novato site.
The intern for MSAT will gain insight into the technical aspects of the production of our therapies. They will collaborate with a cross-functional team to increase commercial production and reduce process variation. The nature of projects will require data collection and interpretation to have a positive impact to process performance. The successful candidate will be able to communicate progress and status of project(s) clearly and efficiently.
- Understanding of basic commercial manufacturing operations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office tools (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Ability to compile and interpret data for process optimization
- Ability to apply technical knowledge of biopharmaceutical processes (cell culture, purification, etc.)
- Proven ability to independently manage work, actions, and expectations
- Student in their 3rd or 4th year of Undergrad pursuing a degree in Chemical Engineering, Biochemical Engineering or other engineering related field.
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the program.
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Must be authorized to work in the United States without visa sponsorship
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship:
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment.
- Develop skills specific to your major.
- Opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business.
- Weekly Speaker Seminar Series with Executive Staff.
In the U.S., the hiring range for this position is $ 21.00 to $ 25.00 per hour. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
In the U.S., the salary range for this position is $ 0 to $ 0 per year, which factors in various geographic regions. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A discretionary bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.