Intern - Business OperationsLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin at a Glance
BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases. We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
The BioMarin Summer Internship Program will enable students to gain valuable experience and knowledge of the processes and systems within BioMarin, while gaining an insight into the pharmaceutical/biotech industry.
This role reports through Business Operations and supports all the local Make – Assess – Release functions, which include approximately 600 employees. The Business Operations group is a team of technical problem-solvers with a foundational understanding of business implications.
The intern will lead a process improvement project, with guidance from their mentor, to drive the Novato site towards operational excellence. This position is a dynamic and rewarding position that requires a high degree of professional, collaborative interaction, self-awareness and innovation.
The intern will interface with all or most functional groups within Novato Make-Assess-Release including Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Manufacturing Science and Technology, Material Operations, Engineering and Facilities, and more.
Type of work to be performed may include the following:
- Meet with cross-functional stakeholders at various levels to determine “voice of the customer” relating to key site transformations
- Build quality relationships with key stakeholders while clarifying information & needs across site leadership
- Plan, design, and develop interactive reports and dashboards to track key project or process performance
- Identify and interpret data patterns that provide insight about business processes and systems
- Assist in the development of business cases to support implementation of process improvements
- Assist in document of business processes for improvements
- Assist Business Process Analysts to coordinate working team meetings and related projects
- Other duties may be assigned
In this role, you will get the opportunity to grow your leadership skills in a fun, dynamic, and inspiring environment. This unique role allows for exposure to all departments within our Technical Operations area, learning about what motivates each group, and how to effectively support alignment and engagement for site-wide transformations. Projects will also provide the opportunity to hone skills in strategic thinking, problem-solving, project management, communication, and analysis.
- Pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a STEM field
- Proactive, comfortable working independently and in teams
- Strong analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Organized, and able to effectively prioritize tasks
- Strong desire to learn, and ability to learn quickly
- Ability to meet deadlines without prompting
- Foundational experience or knowledge of common business software (Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, SharePoint)
- Student must be returning to school in the Fall Term OR has graduated within the 1 year of the start of the intern program
- Must be available to work 40 hours a week
- Housing and Transportation is responsibility of the Intern
- Experience in Power BI or similar data visualization software
- Experience in managing or supporting large projects, groups of people, or events
- Experience interacting with varied groups of people
Benefits of a BioMarin Internship
- Apply skills and knowledge learned in the classroom to on-the-job experiences
- Comprehensive, value-added project(s)
- Work in teams and with colleagues in a professional environment
- Develop technical skills specific to your major
- Provides opportunities for professional development by building relationships and learning about other parts of the business
- Weekly lunch seminar series with Executive Staff
- End of summer poster presentation to the BioMarin Community
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.