Instrumentation Technician 2 (Swing Shift)Location Novato, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
This position is responsible for performing instrumentation activities including troubleshooting, calibration, installation, and repair in a cGMP regulated environment.
This position will provide calibration/troubleshooting support necessary to ensure that the equipment and instruments used by the Facilities, Quality Control, and Manufacturing Departments are in a current state of calibration and working condition with an emphasis on minimizing down time for the customer.
- Work on assignments that are complicated in nature.
- Perform troubleshooting on instrumentation loops (i.e., various transmitters, PLC cards, sensing elements, and HMIs).
- Perform calibrations and installations of various types of industrial processing control instrumentation including but not limited to: conductivity, pressure, flow, and temperature.
- Write, edit, and review Calibration SOP’s for individual instrument calibrations to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Initiate Out of Tolerance Reports.
- Operate various types of manufacturing and process equipment.
- Review and approve instrument calibration records generated by contractors and by peers within the department.
- Evaluate, complete, review, and approve ERF records that are moderate in nature within CMMS.
- Support Validation in executing OQ tests during the startup of new equipment.
- Perform shipping and return of Instrumentation standards and other instruments to off-site calibration vendors
- Active member of BioMarin’s Emergency Response Team (BERT).
- Ability to drive occasionally for work.
- Other duties as requested by Instrumentation Management.
This position provides support to Manufacturing, Quality Control, Facilities, Quality Assurance, and R&D in the form of troubleshooting, installation, calibration, and repair. Using calibrated equipment and instrumentation is a basic regulatory requirement, without calibrated equipment and instrumentation the various operational departments could not conduct their daily work.
- Completion of a 2-year technical program (instrumentation or industrial electronics) or an associate’s degree in a related science or engineering major. Extensive experience in calibration/instrumentation position may be considered.
- Experience with PC programs such as Word, Excel, CMMS, or other database preferred.
- Familiarity with HART protocol, DMMs (FLUKE 744/754) a plus.
- Familiarity with ladder logic a plus.
- Biotech or pharmaceutical: minimum N/A
- Instrumentation or Calibration: minimum 2 years.
- Electro-mechanical background a plus
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings (P&ID’s) and specifications.
- Strong troubleshooting skills are required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT / PHYSICAL DEMANDS
This is a fast-paced work environment where multitasking is a must. While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, talk or hear, use hands/fingers, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, or smell.
The employee must occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, color vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electrical shock, vibration, and extreme temperatures.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee will be required to independently utilize:
Digital Multi Meters (DMMs)
Associated computer programs (e.g. Word, Excel, and CMMS).
Various manufacturing process skids and analytical laboratory equipment.
Small hand tools (i.e., wrenches, screwdrivers, test leads, drive sockets, etc..)
This position requires significant interaction with other departments (employees and managers) for the scheduling of work activities both in the various laboratories and on equipment delivered to the calibration shop.
This position requires interaction with outside contractors for scheduling work to be performed at the BioMarin facility.
On an on-going basis this position interacts with outside vendors for scheduling and performing external calibration work.
Interaction with Engineering and other department heads regarding new technology implementation in manufacturing and lab settings.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Works independently on routine activities.
Self-starter, requires little direction.
Expert in electro-mechanical troubleshooting, multiple calibrations, resource and trainer.
Performs investigations and proposes solutions.
Able to supervise/monitor external calibration contractor’s performance on-site.
Demonstrated ability to meet scheduling deadlines.
Ability to man a shift alone with other junior talent
Advancement to Senior Instrumentation Technician I.
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.