Global Category Manager, Capital ProjectsLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
As Global Category Manager (GCM) Capital Projects, you are part of the TOPS Global Procurement (TGP) organization accountable for driving and delivering Procurement value across a group of indirect suppliers that support capital projects for the Technical Operations (TOPS) and R&D organizations. You will manage team of procurement professionals responsible for sourcing and executing category strategy programs.
TGP is a key function within TOPS that delivers value to BioMarin by leveraging market intelligence, subject matter expertise and business insights in the procurement of good and services and management of BioMarin’s third party spend. Through collaboration with our external suppliers and internal business partners, TGP helps bring innovative new medicines to patients.
As Global Category Manager Capital Projects, you are responsible for developing and executing a global category strategy, leading strategic sourcing initiatives and projects together with business partners, executing on strategic programs to achieve savings targets and other KPIs. You will lead complex contract negotiations and ensure contract value realization and supplier performance through effective Supplier Relationship Management business reviews.
Thanks to your strong leadership, communication, and influencing skills, you ensure stakeholder alignment and support to deliver value through the implementation of category strategies and initiatives. You establish effective working relationships with functional stakeholders to ensure alignment and full realization of the benefits of the category strategy.
- Lead team of Procurement professionals executing sourcing events and category strategy programs/projects; set strategic objectives for team, manage pipeline of projects, report savings and develop team members
- Accountable for the creation and application of a busines aligned long term, end-to-end Capital Projects Category Strategy and the development of an annual pipeline of strategic category initiatives that deliver value for the business.
- Execute category initiatives and ensure responsibility for delivery and reporting of savings.
- Develop, negotiate, support and manage global contracts with suppliers in line with stakeholder / business needs.
- Utilize deep analytics to understand category spend and identify opportunities to gain efficiencies, including optimize cost savings.
- Leverage on market and supplier intelligence to drive value through our knowledge, insights and governance processes.
- Drive market intelligence and innovation - assess global market conditions and direction of assigned categories; partner with suppliers and internally to drive innovation
- Develop and lead cross-functional teams in support of capital projects, capital equipment procurement, and related commodities that leverage volume and knowledge to achieve maximum value.
- Design sourcing strategies and develop supplier relationships that achieve maximum value from the current and potential supplier base. Continuously refine strategies to adapt and improve delivery of objectives.
- Lead supplier selection process and negotiate contracts. Develop actionable recommendations based on a clear definition and articulation of options and tradeoffs. Develop action plans that anticipate implementation problems and leverages internal and supplier capabilities while building full commitment throughout the process.
- Monitor CAPEX category spending, both in aggregate and via patterns/cycles, and continuously evaluate options to reduce total cost of ownership. Propose policy and business case to drive corporate discipline in capital efficiency. Establish and deploy standards and monitor compliance.
- Serve as a conduit for innovation from supplier base. Develop market intelligence and benchmarking. Act as subject matter expert in capital procurement and supplier market dynamics. Proactively identify new markets and supplier sources.
- Develop in-depth knowledge of category specifications, BioMarin products and processes and regulatory requirements.
- Maintain in depth understanding of suppliers capabilities, capacity and overall financial stability. Assess supply risk and develop appropriate strategies to mitigate that risk. Ensure that suppliers have developed and tested contingency plans.
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of contract terms and conditions including key performance requirements. Assure compliance to contracting policy and established contracts.
- Lead and facilitate resolution of supplier issues. Work closely with all related internal functions including Engineering, Manufacturing, Quality, Compliance, Regulatory Affairs, and R&D.
- Establish function scorecards and other communication vehicles to measure and report performance including supplier performance and value realized.
- Build cross functional awareness of the supplier management role across the organization.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives throughout the organization in the enhancement of functional processes and in the realization of material / service supply opportunities.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering, business, or life sciences, MBA desirable, C.P.M. or A.P.P. desirable.
- 7+ years strategic procurement experience with extensive knowledge of category management and advanced sourcing, complex contract negotiations expertise
- 5+ years management experience with proven ability to develop staff members
- 5+ years capital procurement experience with responsibility for development and implementation of procurement strategies; ideally in biotech / life sciences industry.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including solid interpersonal, analytical and presentation skills.
- Excellent project management skills
- Strong risk management skill set required to drive innovative solutions and problem-solving analysis and resolution
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.