EHS&S Specialist I/IILocation Novato, California Workstyle Onsite Only Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The EHS&S Specialist I is an entry to mid-level function within the BioMarin Environmental Health Safety and Sustainability (EHS&S) Department. This position is specialized in providing safety, health and environmental services to a pilot plant facility, R&D laboratories, utility operations, and other related departments.
The EHS&S Specialist I will function as a business partner to the Manufacturing Sciences & Technology (“MSAT”) and Technical Development Departments, with emphasis on the following services: comprehensive risk assessments & JHA’s, stakeholder engagement, waste management, regulatory compliance support, incident management ticket support, monthly safety assessment support and industrial ergonomics. At the discretion of the EHS&S Manager, the EHS&S Specialist I may also support other department initiatives such as industrial monitoring, training, program development and safety metrics reporting.
- Business relationship manager (“BRM”) for 2 Novato site departments, providing all manner of EHS&S support services, including: routine risk management services (e.g. JHA’s, lab inspections & routine safety, health & environment walkthroughs), 1x1’s with stakeholder leads and attendance at stakeholder all-hands meetings, training/program development, training delivery, INTELEX incident management system support, waste management program support, risk reduction/continuous improvement project support, monthly metrics and newsletter preparation/delivery and supporting numerous ad hoc inquiries from stakeholders.
- Provide support for Novato site Lab Safety Committee by assisting the Committee Chair with meeting coordination, action tracking and EHS&S dialogue.
- Support global governance initiatives (e.g. EHS&S Global Safety Committee member & Novato Site Culture and Communications team member).
- Provide support to Ergonomics program subject matter expert with issues in office, industrial and laboratory workspaces.
- Support Novato site EHS&S Environmental program Lead, to prepare for agency inspections and close action items/observations.
- Support ongoing ISO 14001 and 45001 certification maintenance efforts for the Novato Make, Assess, Release departments
- Review of new or proposed changes to site facilities, equipment, materials or operations to determine all necessary EHS&S requirements are addressed.
- Provide knowledge of safety responsibilities, regulations, procedures, and business practices for biopharmaceutical pilot plant and/or laboratory operations.
- Support construction safety and contractor safety program efforts.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- 3-5 years working in EHS&S, preferably in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Prior experience with the following types of software systems: EHS-eLMS, accident/incident reporting and computerized maintenance management.
- Requires comprehensive understanding of office software including: MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Visio, Outlook, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Desired Skills:
- Desired personal competencies related to performance in this role:
- Customer Focus: Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect
- Planning: Sets objectives/goals; Breaks down work into the process steps; Develops schedules and task/staff assignments; accurately scopes out length and difficulty of tasks and projects.
- Dealing with Ambiguity: Can shift gears comfortably; can effectively cope with change; can decide and act without having the total picture; can comfortably handle new projects with little instruction or guidance.
- Organizing: Can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; can marshal resources (people/funding/materials/support) to get things done; arranges information & files in a useful manner.
- Peer Relationships: Easily gains the trust and support of peers; is seen as a team player & is cooperative; can get unpopular objectives completed and be seen as fair.
- Creativity: Comes up with a lot of new ideas/solutions; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions; is seen as original and value-added in brainstorming sessions.
- Initiative: Recognizes and acts on opportunities even when not asked to do so; self-directed within the scope of responsibilities.
- Knowledge and experience of EHS&S regulations
- Familiarity with GxP regulations
- Emergency Response Training
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a science or engineering related field (minimum requirement).
- Professional certification such as CIH, CSP, CHMM, etc. (Desirable)
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.