EHS&S Specialist 2 (TEMPORARY)Location Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The EHS&S Specialist 2 is a mid-level role in the BioMarin Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability (EHS&S) Department. This position supports the US Region team's Business Office. This position requires regular onsite work at one or more of BioMarin’s Northern California offices.
- Support implementation of EHS&S programs
- Oversees and/or conducts industrial hygiene surveys and monitoring, ergonomic assessments and environmental sampling activities & inspections
- Coordinate/conduct safety and compliance inspections
- Support and coordinate regulatory inspections at the local, county, state, federal levels
- Provide strategic support to stakeholders to reduce health & safety risks to staff & improve safety awareness/culture
- Develop & maintains strong relationships with internal & external partners
- Investigate incidents, near misses & safety suggestions including conducting root cause analyses.
- Facilitates meetings, including developing agendas, documenting decisions, action items & encouraging team participation
- Collaborates with subject matter experts to define, design, develop & deliver training materials that support EHS&S compliance programs & business practices
- Acts as an eLMS administrator
- Supports EHS&S document maintenance by developing & implementing processes to maintain working documents/business records
- Acts as an intranet page administrator. Updates & maintains EHS&S intranet pages
- Gathers/inputs information for contract & purchase order requests
- Gathers & reports data required for business metrics
- May assist with injury/illness report follow-up
- Other duties as assigned
The successful candidate will demonstrate our Technical Operations’ values:
- We lead with Compassion: We take a risk-based approach to solving problems. We seek to efficiently use resources through excellent planning and project management
- We pursue quality and integrity: Enabling a safe and healthy environment for our colleagues and community is the foundation of our work. We seek to create compliant, self-sustaining, scalable solutions
- We are better together: We work to create an inclusive environment; have a continuous improvement mindset
Personal competencies required:
- Customer focus: understanding & meeting the expectations/requirements of internal customers; establishes & maintains effective relationships
- Planning: accurately plans projects, schedules & resource needs
- Decision-making: self-directed; makes sound decisions; uses appropriate judgement in escalating issues/questions
- Agility: can change direction comfortably when needed; effectively copes with change; can decide & act within the scope of their role
- Organizing: can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal.
- Leadership: gains the trust and support of peers; seen as a team player and cooperative; successfully collaborates and influences to complete assigned tasks.
- Creativity: continuous improvement mindset. develop & implement process improvements
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a business, education, science, or engineering-related field (minimum requirement)
Required experience is dependent upon previously attained education level:
- 5-8 years of experience with undergraduate degree
- Experience in EHS&S in the pharmaceutical/biotech industry desired
- Proficiency in office software
- Excellent oral & written communication skills
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- Frequent long durations in home office/onsite office/cubicle environment
- Occasional visits to construction sites, manufacturing, laboratory, and utility areas
- Occasional long durations of walking, sitting, standing, kneeling
- Occasional/as-needed response to emergency/disruptive events, which could involve work outside of normal business hours
- Frequent listening, writing, & public speaking
- Occasional climbing, crawling & lifting up to 20 pounds
Additional Preferred experience
- Training programs/professional certificates in a project management or instructional design discipline desired
- Electronic Learning Management System administration (eLMS). UL Learnshare and/or UL ComplianceWire highly desirable
- Instructional Design experience
- Systems: Microsoft Office, Intelex, DocusignCLM, ServiceNow, PowerBI, COUPA Spend Management
- Web-based content authoring tools: Articulate or similar
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.