Director, Supply Chain PlanningLocation Novato, California Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director, Supply Chain Planning will manage the Supply Planning team to ensure reliable product supply to a global patient population. The Supply Planning team is responsible for converting forecasts into production plans that provide optimal distribution center inventories and incorporate effective contingencies for appropriate risks and initiatives. The Planning team also supports effective and efficient execution by TOPS with detailed and highly responsive production planning activities. This person will recommend and maintain inventory and safety stock strategies, and support the transition of clinical products to and post commercialization. Further, this person will develop the skills and leadership ability of the Planners through mentoring, technical and business training.
• Identify gaps and inefficiencies, and establish and implement globally aligned, supply chain planning best practices that ensure continuous supply of product, and support business initiatives such as inventory modeling & optimization and new product launches. Further, ensure that recommended plans demonstrate detailed analysis, include effective mitigation plans, and thorough vetting with constituent groups.
• Develop strategic analyses through a 5 year horizon that consider demand from commercial and/or clinical products, as well as CMO availability, tech transfers, and regulatory filings. These analyses must provide insight to multiple scenarios of demand, development and approval timelines, and be developed with support from multiple functional groups.
• Establish and maintain appropriate drug substance, drug product and finished good inventory levels.
• Partner with Contract Manufacturing teams to develop effective and efficient production plans, tech transfers, lot sizes, and delivery performance for external manufacturers.
• Support a proactive Sales & Operations Planning program to create an integrated operational plan that supports BioMarin’s business and patient objectives.
• Support ad hoc modeling of various supply scenarios as necessary with quick turn-around, extremely high accuracy, well vetted and documented assumptions, and that are readily supportable by the team.
• Develop process metrics for Planning that measure effectiveness towards achieving goals, provide ready visibility to improvement opportunities, and track progress of improvement initiatives.
• Implement mechanisms to ensure the disciplined and effective use of ERP within Planning and integration with other Functional groups.
• Develop skill sets and leadership ability of the Planning team through mentoring, technical and business training, and challenging assignments that build confidence and demonstrate the team’s ability to make significant contributions to Technical Operations and BioMarin.
The work product from the Planning team will indirectly support all product revenue and clinical programs for BioMarin, will be a major driver for Manufacturing expenses, and will highly impact operational and transportation costs of external operations.
The Director, Supply Chain Planning will manage 5 Production Planners.
• Bachelors in Business, Operations Management, or Industrial Engineering required, Master’s Degree preferred
• APICS certification and/or supply chain education preferred
• Other continuing education initiatives highly desirable (e.g. Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, industry specific coursework)
• At least 12-15 years production planning experience required, preferably in a pharmaceutical or biotech manufacturing organization; Minimum of 7 years’ leadership experience in supply chain management required
• Working knowledge of GMP/GCP regulations required
• Experience with Master Scheduling, Inventory Analysis and Management, ERP systems, and new product launches required
• Experience in clinical production planning preferred
• Demonstrated ability to recruit and develop high quality talent highly desired
• Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives highly desired
• Experience leading cross-functional business process improvement initiatives using Lean Six Sigma and Business Process Reengineering tools and effective change management skills desired
• Superior communication skills – Oral, written and formal presentation skills with senior management, middle management and line staff
• Creative problem solving skills
• Comfortable and effective working indirectly through others
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.