Director, Engineering - Automation and CAPEXLocation Novato, California Workstyle Open to Hybrid Apply
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market. These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Director of Engineering, Automation & CAPEX reports to the Senior Director of Novato Engineering and Facilities Services. The Director provides strategic and tactical leadership and guidance for the Novato Engineering/Automation organization in support of clinical/commercial product delivery at the Novato Site.
A high level of initiative, energy, and motivation are key role requirements, as well as excellent leadership, technical understanding and management of complexity and effective collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Own the Facilities, Utilities Engineering, Process Engineering, Automation Engineering, Asset lifecycle Management and Capital portfolio at the Novato site
- Own the development and management of department budgets cost center
- Develop, support, and continuously improve integrated working relationships with key stakeholders on site at Novato and in the global BioMarin network
- Actively manage staffing, resource, and workload requirements
- Define engineering and automation strategies for future projects and future site operations.
- Identification and execution of continuous improvement projects within engineering, Automation & Process Engineering for the benefit of the site.
- Continue to promote a “Right First Time” philosophy in all areas of process engineering activities.
- Maintain a safe working environment by continuously promoting safety awareness, recognizing, and rectifying unsafe conditions and performing thorough investigations when accidents occur.
- Serve as a member of the Operational Leadership Team providing effective and responsive support to the site while ensuring performance in all aspects of the business objectives.
- Lead a high performing team that maintains and champions a diverse and inclusive workplace.
- Recruit, direct, coach, develop and maintain the team’s technical and interpersonal skills.
- Responsible for the Novato site capital portfolio, this requires long range planning, budget adherence and strategic planning for the Novato site.
- Lead asset life cycle management for the site to maintain/replace existing equipment and implement new technologies where applicable to ensure best-in-class manufacturing operations.
- Champion the Site sustainability program with a focus on energy consumption and water conservation and waste management.
- Responsible for ensuring the quality and quantity of work produced, staffing requirements, and personnel management.
The work product from the Associate Director/Director will directly support product delivery and other programs executed in the network, will be a major driver for asset lifecycle management (LCM) strategies, and will highly impact site operations and network strategies.
This role has both strategic and tactical planning responsibilities for the NEFS team and Novato Site.
BA/BS/MS in engineering, life sciences or related field
Advanced degree desirable, but not required
Required Experience and Abilities:
- Preferred 12 years of experience with the design, installation, startup, and servicing of process equipment, utility systems in the biotech industry.
- At least 10 years GMP/GCP compliant Biopharma operations experience required
- Exceptional communication skills required, as this position will require interaction at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other functional groups to achieve business objectives required.
- Creative problem-solving skills.
Manufacturing, Material Operations, Regulatory, Quality, Supply Chain Supply and Demand Planning, Finance, Compliance, TOPS Program Management Group, IT, BPI/BPE, Human Resources, Network Strategy Teams, MSAT, Business Operation
PLEASE NOTE: Absent a Medical or Religious reason that prohibits vaccinations, all our incoming employees must be vaccinated for COVID-19.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.